UKC

Help-Expedition advice and help requires(arctic)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kieran B 12 Aug 2014

I'm a 17 year old boy, and i'm looking to do a south pole expedition, a long one, i understand some take 100 days and over, and i'm willing todo that, i want advice on things like, are there people who do it(professionals) to aid me, how much is the average weight pulled by a person assuming they're going for a long period of time, i'm assuming i can't do it at the age of 17 for health and safety reason and as a result will be looking to do it next year around this time(if it's within the walking season in that area), how much does it cost roughly, i would hoping to have funding to help me as i'm in full time education, this wouldn't get in the way of the expedition however. Any additional information on things would be extremely helpful, any links i can read up on too would be very grateful, kind regards EDIT:Iv'e had previous walking experience, climbed to Everest base camp when i was 16And also climbed the mountains/hills in the Brecon beacons several times, nothing compared to what i'm inquiring about, i know, still some experience however.

Kieran.
Post edited at 22:17
 duckhead 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Kieran B:

Have you considered working for BAS in the Antarctic?
 Tom Last 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Kieran B:

Might be worth talking to the *Expeditionary Advice Centre at the RGS.

*Have a feeling it's called something different now.

Or else, hopefully Damo will be along to advise you here in a bit.
Kieran B 13 Aug 2014
In reply to duckhead:

I'm too young to work for them, they require degree levels of qualifications of which i don't poses, would be interesting to look at for future purposes though
 Billhook 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Kieran B:

Arctic = North Pole
Removed User 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Kieran B:

Jagged Globe would be a good place to start - something like this:

http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/i/last+degree.html

It's 'only' a 60 mile trek, though. They might have a bespoke option, but I'm not sure you'd find a commercial operator that would run a coast-to-pole expedition. It would be a massive undertaking, and I expect it's really the sort of thing you only do when you know you can, even if you did find a guide.

> i understand some take 100 days and over, and i'm willing todo that

You're willing now, but would you still be willing after ten days? Twenty days? A week of being tent-bound in 60mph winds, eating the same thing and pooing in front of your tent-mate?
Your ambition is commendable, but it might be a bit unrealistic. Maybe read a few books by people who've done the trip, if you haven't already, to get a better idea of what's involved. Shackleton, Mike Stroud/Ranulph Fiennes, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...