UKC

Plastic Soldier - Llanberis Slate Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 13 Aug 2014
Plastic Soldier is now safe to climb again

The 5 bolts which were damaged when the huge loose blocks at the overlap were trundled have been replaced today with 5 x 16mm resin bolts.

I've also drilled another thread at the belay and 2 x 17mm holes ready for 2 shiny new 16mm Resin bolts when I'm up there next.

Thank you to whoever drilled the 12mm holes this made things easier for me today, and thank you for adding another Bolt belay at the top.

Apologies for the delay, I've been a way on 3 school expeds and a family climbing trip.

Plastic Soldier is now improved and much safer than before, and one of the original Plastic Soldiers has been attached to one of the bolts.
 1poundSOCKS 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Thanks. I really enjoyed the route before the rockfall, guess I need try out the new version. Is it still 6a?
OP Sl@te Head 13 Aug 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Still 6a but a nicer blanker section (not many good footholds) to reach a big jug at the overlap, this section looks a lot better than it did before in my opinion. I guess it's an excuse to do the route again for those that enjoyed it the first time...
 stonemaster 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

....and another vote of thanks for your hard work....
 The Ivanator 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Good work, I'll delete the warning I posted in the logbooks.
 Spengler 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Big thanks for this Ian. And also all the other ones you've done. (I'm a big fan of Penmaenbach!)
 John H Bull 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
You're a trooper. Appreciate all your efforts here and elsewhere!
 kipper12 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Ian

CHeers for this, as the one who climbed the route and spotted the loose block, I am looking forward to giving it another go in its revised form.
OP Sl@te Head 14 Aug 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Thanks for reporting it and hope you enjoy the new improved and safer experience!

A bit more Slate news on here..

http://news.v12outdoor.com/2014/08/14/slate-quarries-update-%e2%80%93-five-...
 Red Rover 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Thats a nice website but I'm suprised the newshas no mention of the allmighty rockfall in the lost world http://www.aditnow.co.uk/supersize/Dinorwig-Slate-Mine-User-Album-Image-951...
OP Sl@te Head 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Cool photo, that's one big rock fall!
 Red Rover 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It's a huge one, I dont think its done that much damage to the routes, I think the start to a small rusty nail on a large mantlepiece is gone, and the wall within is still OK I think (havnt been there, just reports from friends who have). The hut in the bottom is wiped out it got cut in half by a boulder. I've spent a few nights there good job it didnt happen then.
 mfisher 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Massive thanks for all your hard work in the quarries!

Matty
OP Sl@te Head 19 Aug 2014
Seen quite a few climbers on Plastic Soldier the last few days, can anyone confirm that it's still 6a?
 mnorman88 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Thank you for the work you have done on the route. I seconded the route about two years ago. I lead the route on Monday, still a fantastic climb. I would say it is still 6a.
OP Sl@te Head 20 Aug 2014
In reply to mnorman88:

Thanks, I was curious to see whether anyone found it much harder getting to the overlap than before. Glad that it hasn't affected the grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...