UKC

Paying for Alpine Huts - TMB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 13 Aug 2014
So I'm heading out to Cham area in a couple of weeks with the intention of doing the Tour du Mont Blanc with my girlfriend starting on the 1st September (after the Ultra-Trail). Our plan to to go hut to hut to keep packs light and enjoy it. I'm told that the best plan (particularly at this time - not peak season) is to book the hut the night before by phone, and that I should budget £40 each per night for half board.

My question is, do any of the huts accept cards? Or does everyone carry around 800 Euros for 10 days? Also do the Swiss huts accept Euros?

Any information about this or general TMB advice would be gratefully welcomed.
 peter.corrigan 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Huts like money.
I can't remember any plastic.
I have paid in Euros in Swiss Huts near the French border, but you won't get a good rate.
I'd order some Swiss Francs too
 sadams601 13 Aug 2014

I payed with card at the Cosmiques Hut this June but wouldn't be terribly confident that other huts have that capability since the Cosmiques is right next to the Midi station
 JohnnyW 13 Aug 2014

We paid with cash exclusively this year, though admittedly it was in high huts. Doesn't the TMB occasionally drop into or close to villages/towns? Surely that's the time to plan your ATM visits?
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks for the replies all. Looks like I will be getting some Swiss Francs too. Trying to avoid using cash machines as charges are high for me (cheapest to either do card transactions or a single large withdrawl rather than lots of smaller ones).
 Lesdavmor 14 Aug 2014

The Gouter(old) refuge took Visa last year so should still do so. Best to obtain details direct from their web pages if possible

We paid by card in the Torino last month, having checked on the website in advance that they take cards.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem carrying the cash if necessary. Just remember where you packed it! And take plenty spare for incidentals if that's a possibility. The coffees, beers and snacks quickly add up...

I do wonder what happens if you find you can't pay the bill? We got a bill for far more than we were expecting in the Ecrins last year (our own fault, bad adding up) and only just managed to pay after scrabbling around for 5c pieces. I wonder if there's a facility to pay in the valley, or do you have trek back up having visited the cashpoint?
 nbonnett 14 Aug 2014

we once used my mates wife's AA breakdown cover card and said it was the austrian alpine club ,n my mate was called rhona, n we got discount on the cost of the hut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...