UKC

A stupid question about tyre widths....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 13 Aug 2014

Hi folks,
stupid question I know but we are now owners of a T5 transporter which is currently on steel wheels but looking to put alloys on.

The current tyres are 205/65 R16 C but I've been given some alloys which are genuine VAG and apparently designed for my van and the tyres are 215/65 R16 C.

Does the extra 10mm on the width make any difference at all?

Cheers, Den.
Post edited at 22:02
 woolsack 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:
The middle number is a percentage of the width so you would be best to find one of the online tyre calculators to see what difference it will make to circumference and hence gearing and possibly wheel arch clearance and steering. Probably not a great deal but the tyre calculator will tell you
like this
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

+1.9% on circumference
Post edited at 22:11
 Hooo 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:

I'm not an expert, so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I can't see it making any noticeable difference. People fit a wider range of tyre sizes all the time. The slightly larger circumference will mean that the speedo will read a little lower, but since these are calibrated to read high anyway, it will probably still read over the actual speed even with the larger tyres. Handling wise I can't see an extra 10mm making any difference at all.
Out of interest, why are you fitting alloy wheels at all? I've always seen them as an expensive liability, only fitted because some people like the look of them. I'd glady trade my standard alloys for steel!
 Toby_W 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:

I have a T5 that has 19 inch alloys (came with it) and very much the wrong tyres 275, 45, 19 which puts it something like 8% bigger radius on the wheels.
You can work all this out with sites like the above. The GPS and speedo now read the same which really surprised me as I didn't think they read that much over.
Anyway apart from slightly changing the gearing and making your speedo a little closer it should make no real difference. By that I mean nothing worth worrying about, the alloys you mention are the standard VW ones and the tyres the standard size they fit.
I was going to change mine to 255/40/19s to put my speedo back to what you will be fitting but in light of the speedo read will be going narrower and deeper for a better ride 245/45/19.

The only really important thing you need to check is that the tyres are load rated for your van. If it's a T30 unless it's a Khombi (100) like mine you'll need 102 load rated tyres. But to be sure check your axel load weights.

Cheers

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...