UKC

Any Environmental Scientists here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thelongcon 14 Aug 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm about a year away from finishing my degree, and wondering what job prospects are like in the UK and in Europe. I currently live in Australia, we've got a few jobs floating around, but I'd like a change of scenery, especially towards some mountains.

Any ideas about the types of jobs and the demand for Enviro's over there?

Cheers!
 Banned User 77 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

Depends on your field, its a very competitive field..

Plus if you don't speak a language you are constrained to a few countries.. plus visa issues..

Maybe look at a funded Masters or PHD over this side?
OP Thelongcon 14 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Ah, languages is a very good point.

All my experience has been with mining, maybe Canada may be a better option on a working visa. I've got a British passport so visas won't be an issue (assuming you lot stay in the EU).

I think my main focus will be groundwater resources.

Masters would be a good plan, but I'm already a mature age student and I'd like to escape poverty some time soon.
Removed User 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

There's certainly work over here in the oil sector and plenty of mining activity, all of which use Environmental consultants (so long as you don't mind selling your soul).
 AlexM 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

There is nuclear industry environmental work also. Many of the jobs can be had near to the mountains.
 Doug 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

I work in conservation biology which is very competitive, usual entry requirements for paid jobs seems to be at least an MSc, plus some voluntary work experience. Not sure about other fields but suspect the MSc is pretty much essential, although if you're a mature student maybe your pre BSc experience might count
 Banned User 77 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

A lot of post grad science is English taught.. Especially in Germany and I think holland, Scandinavia and Switzerland... So worth looking at.

UK PhDs are well funded, 13-15k pay tax free... So not a bad salary for a recent grad when you factor in tax and no council tax...

SteveoS 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

I'm not doing to well at finding a job with my BSc, I have a few friends who excelled at the course who have walked into jobs though.
OP Thelongcon 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:
Interesting, thanks for the replies everyone.

I still have a year to see what happens, maybe I'll be posting back here in a year or two looking for climbing partners

Thanks!
Post edited at 04:54
Removed User 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserThelongcon)
>
> There's certainly work over here in the oil sector and plenty of mining activity, all of which use Environmental consultants (so long as you don't mind selling your soul).

"over here" is Canada BTW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...