UKC

I need to change it up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 14 Aug 2014

Did a triathlon last Sunday (1.5km swim. 62km bike, 13km run) for the second time.

The water was effing rough so I added 9mins to my swim over the previous year but gained 4mins on the bike and ran about the same (give or take a few seconds).

I'm riding a Specialized Secteur Sport and I think I need a replacement. Do I go for an upgraded road bike or do I go for a pure TT bike? I know I do most of by riding solo and in TT mode and I only really race in Triathlons but I really like road riding. Or should I buy one of each
 jethro kiernan 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Obviously one of each!
A decent road bike, I had similar choices and still haven¡¦t got a tt bike but am considering upgrading my Sunday best road bike
 cousin nick 14 Aug 2014

I've got a Secteur too (but its a triple - don't tell anyone!). I have done about 5000km on it including JOGLE last year. For me, it is a very comfortable bike on longer rides, so while I'd like a 'better' bike, I'm loathe to change too much, hence I'm thinking about the Specialized Roubaix range when the time to change arrives. Roubaix has the same geometry as Secteur, but carbon frame and upgraded components. In the meantime, since my stock wheels are past their best, I've upgraded the wheels on the Secteur to some Ksyrium Equipes - seems to make quite an improvement. Personally, I'd go for a better road bike. You can always add clip on bars for TT and triathlon.

N
 JLS 14 Aug 2014

Seems like you "need" a TT bike but "want" a nice road bike.

Logically...
A new road bike will not make your training any more effective.
A new TT bike will improve your race times.

But...
It's a joy to have the luxury of riding a high spec road machine in training.
KevinD 14 Aug 2014

one of each plus a cx bike for winter.
How many triathlons are you planning on doing and how much cash can you spare?
if you arent doing many and enjoy the road riding then I would go for the road bike. Not as good for the race but more fun for the majority of the riding.
Removed User 14 Aug 2014

Everything logical tells me it is a TT bike I need so I think I'll go with this.

What should I get?
 jethro kiernan 15 Aug 2014

Felt have done some good TT bikes over the years so there is a good chance of finding one on ebay B12 or B16, budget for wheels as most TT bikes come with crap wheels or if second hand the owner might keep the "good" wheels and sell on with cheep wheels.
Good time to buy as its getting to the end of the Tri Season
 Hat Dude 15 Aug 2014

Why not go for something a bit more aero like one of the Boardman Air series, they don't seem to do the Brownlees any harm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...