UKC

Eskdale hills for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 14 Aug 2014

I'll be in Eskdale for a few days and would like to take a keen wee walker (and her less keen brother ) up some hills.
I don't want to drag them up Scafell Pike but looking for some things that fits a few of the following; interesting route of ascent - a nice ridge - even a bit of scrambling, good views so outlying hills are very much in and around the 2000ft mark.
Anything accessible from Eskdale or Wasdale would be good.
Ta
Post edited at 16:13
llechwedd 14 Aug 2014
In reply to pasbury:

How about Stanley Force from Boot?
Interesting bits of 'jungly' broadleaf woodland and gorge.
from the top, you can cut back East; either below the crags leading towards Harter Fell or along their tops. Plenty of escape routes back down to the River Esk for a riverside return walk.

Most of it's probably below the 1000' mark. You can make it as long a day as you want.
 GrahamUney 14 Aug 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Try Middlefell on the north side of Wastwater. It's a nice little hill with great views across the to the screes. And it has scrambling routes of Grade 1,2, or 3, depending on how hard you want to make it. The walk down from the summit is a doddle too.
 Wainers44 14 Aug 2014
In reply to pasbury:

For loads of interest I would suggest park in mitredale, walk up through the valley to its head which is a place full of rocks and stuff. Then walk out to Burnmoor Tarn, lunch there, then up Illgill Head, Whinn Rigg and back down through the woods to the car. Quite long and needs a good clear day but its a lovely walk.

stewart murray 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

Harter Fell from Hardknott. You can explore the fort then follow the footpath opposite the lay-by. The summit is rocky and provides some slight scrambling.
In reply to stewart murray:

I'd say Harter Fell too. A lovely little unspoiled summit with superb views. Fits the bill perfectly.
 Carolyn 14 Aug 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Probably a lot smaller than you're looking for - but Stickle Pike, Dunnerdale from the top of Kiln Bank is a lovely short trip - only just over 100m of up and maybe 1km - but worth looking at,if only as something to do on the drive there or back.
pasbury 14 Aug 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Yes I remember that 'jungly bit' - good idea.
pasbury 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth & stewart murray

Harter fell is added to the list of possible days out!

J1234 15 Aug 2014
In reply to pasbury:

If in Eskdale a trip to see the Huntsmans Grave (forget his name) is a small pleasure.
You could consider turning your back on the hills and doing a linear walk between St Bees and Whitehaven catching the bus in one direction, it`s a walk we enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...