UKC

Yazidis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 14 Aug 2014
Notwithstanding the horrorific events in Iraq I am fascinated by the appearance of some of the Yazidi people. A few of them seem to have fair, almost Scandinavian, complexions with fair hair and blue eyes - not what one would normally associate with countries like Iraq.

Does anyone know anything about their ethnicity?
 Trangia 14 Aug 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

I am struck as to what good looking people they are. I think they are what used to be known as "Aryan" and rather than Arab
 Ali.B 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Terrible stereotyping :-p
Rigid Raider 14 Aug 2014

Fascinating people indeed. Everything you want to know is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidi

elsewhere 14 Aug 2014
Blue eyes spread due to a genetic mutation in single common ancestor from near the Black Sea.

Blue eyes would be in the middle east but didn't take off like they did in northern europe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-one-ancestor-helped-turn-our-...
Post edited at 17:18
 Dauphin 14 Aug 2014
Think they are basically Kurdish, therefore originally from Persia. There are plenty of blued eyed blonde Persians, they are not all sworthy Arab looking. Indeed Circassians, another turkic diaspora living within Iran, are often blue eyed and blonde people are famed for the fairness of their women.

The syncretic nature of the religion pretty much point to there was lots of miscegenation going on in their history, despite them now being endogamous.

D
Post edited at 17:55
Removed User 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Lol if you want to offend an Iranian (Persian) tell him, or worse, her, that they look like an Arab!
 Kimono 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Wow, i would have nominated you for post of the year for getting syncretic, miscegenation and endogamous into one post....but then you went and spelled swarthy wrong
 cliff shasby 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I thought the same thing....
 Dauphin 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Aplogies.

D
 Postmanpat 14 Aug 2014

Alexander the Great and his mates....
 Dauphin 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

Indeed. Plenty of it. All over the shop.

D
 The New NickB 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Alexander the Great and his mates....

When I think about what Alexander the Great looked like, I see Colin Farrell with a blonde rinse, I don't think I can forgive Oliver Stone for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...