UKC

SPD SL Shoes wanted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 14 Aug 2014
Hi all,
My old spd sl shoes are falling to bits but the price of new shoes makes me feel feint, especially as I'm not working at pro level and probably wouldn't notice most of the features they boast about.

Anyone selling some reasonable shoes, I currently have size 43 shimano but I'm not too fussy about makes so any equivalent (noting how different makes have different sizes)

Thanks,

Gethin.
OP gethin_allen 14 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Bump
 Stig 14 Aug 2014

I don't really get where you're coming from?

My Specialized MTB SPD shoes recently gave out after a decade of constant use - I think I paid about £75 for them so pretty incredible VFM I'd say.

There is a huge range of shoes in the sub-£100 bracket. Recent reviews in the mags suggest the Shimano and Specialized tend to come out in front. From memory there is a shimano shoe with an rrp of £99 that looks really good - but you could probably find it cheaper online. I find Shimano a bit boxy myself.

If you like Shimano and are really on a budget a couple of my mates recently bought their cheapest shoes online (£50ish) and they're pleased with them. Personally I find a ratchet closure to be essential though.

I recently bought Spesh Elite Road shoes - originally saw them in Evans at £90 but I got mine very slightly shop soiled from the Ediburgh cycles ebay shop for £65. Evans are now doing them cheaper as they have a sale on (£70 I think) so you could try them on in the shop. I have narrow feet and I find Spesh perfect.

You don't say what you're after but I replaced my MTB shoes with something similar, slightly used, again from ebay and there were loads of options available.
OP gethin_allen 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Stig:

Most of the cheaper stuff I've seen in local shops look to be plastic lumps. I'd hit the £120 mark before finding anything I liked. Also, I'd prefer to find something second hand and well made than the cheapest new model.

You comment that people are flogging stuff on e-bay (I have been looking), why do you find it such a leap that there may be a few cyclists flogging stuff here? Worth a try don't you think.
 Stig 15 Aug 2014

Sorry my comment was more about the availabity of gear at reasonable prices - if you're looking at £100+ and still not happy then fair enough - I don't really rate Shimano shoes myself, they seem a bit plasticky. Of the more expensive stuff I think some of the Giro shoes look well nice.

If you're spending that much though surely you want to get the fit right? I would have thought buying second hand would mean its a bit hit and miss and well worn shoes will have been bagged out into peoples feet shape which won't suit you.

Have you seen absolutecyles on ebay? they seem to have a few shoes at low prices... think I've used them in the past and got good service.
 jethro kiernan 15 Aug 2014

Got 2 pairs of Giro shoes off ebay one MTB and one road, less than £50 pounds per pair and both as good as brand new, really rate the giro shoes worth spending some time trawling ebay for
 LastBoyScout 15 Aug 2014

Last 2 pairs I bought were from Wiggle and Chain Reaction in sales.

CRC currently have a big sale on...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...