UKC

Should I give up climbing? Help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climb1981 14 Aug 2014
Hello UKC, I am after some advice

I have been climbing for now 8 years, and have done over 20 European alpine trips and been on expeditions to the greater ranges, and climbed all over Asia, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Africa. I also enjoy rock and sport climbing, though not as much as mountaineering. I have completed many things such as the Wainwrights or long distance treks too.

However, the last few months have seen me very disenchanted with climbing. Maybe it's the lack of a good friend and partner. Maybe it is life getting in the way( nearly fully qualified after 10 years of training now), am getting older and maybe want kids. Training for climbing is just a chore now

So am at the point where I am thinking of giving up mountaineering/climbing for good.

I could still go explore many other places to climb, but what motivation do I have? All the beautiful sunrises and sunsets are the same, the suffering is the same. So much time and effort has gone wasted to bad weather days.I will never be able to climb say E7 or Alpine ED but pushing the grades do not attract me as just having a great time in the mountains, but finding that perfect time is getting harder and harder.

My photos have won prizes, and I have featured in articles and magazines as well as written my own. I enjoy the literary side of mountaineering a lot, and devour such books, but again feel that they all tend to be the same after a while.

I have had friends die in the mountains, and have mourned them. I have found excellent friendships though that have lasted till now.

What else remains for me out there?

Maybe this is far too egotistical, but surely someone else has been though this?

Thanks
 john arran 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

If you no longer enjoy something then stop doing it. Maybe you'll appreciate it more and start again with renewed enthusiasm. Maybe you'll not miss it at all and never look back. Either way you'll have won.
 Red Rover 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Take up potholing
 SonyaM 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Losing interest in the things you normally enjoy doing is often a sign of clinical depression. I know nothing of your personal circumstances, but it might be wise to consider this possibility.
 liz j 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:
Why do you have two accounts on here?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=148686
 Monk 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

I know people who have been really fully into climbing who have for to the point where they lose their drive and live for it. Some stop completely, others let it take a back seat. Some come back to it, some don't. I've lost a bit of mojo before, but have found a change of scenery changes things.
 abr1966 14 Aug 2014
In reply to SonyaM: jumping the gun a bit there!
OP...take a break and see what comes back to you. Ive climbed for 33 years this year and haven't done anything this year but im really enjoying walking again and sitting on top of hills rather than getting up and down quickly.
Just take it easy and my guess is you may start liking it again.
 Matt_C9716 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:
$
Only you can answer that, it is not for anyone else to decide your life choices for you.

As abr said, & others, a break/change of place may help, but ultimately people change in the long haul, I have changed profession & hobby choice on more than one occasion and sometime go back to the past ones for just a day or two, or sometimes more. But it has never been because someone else told me too (for me that makes me want to do it less,) but because I have wanted too.

I know this may not have been much help, but to me it seems like you need to take a big/long think about it yourself, and do some things for you, not anyone else.

(Hope this helps in some way, however small.)

Matt
Post edited at 01:27
 radson 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Hey Climb1981. I do know where you are coming from and would be surprised if we didn't have friends of friends.

I think your sentiments are very common and I certainly feel has been felt often by those who have spent a lot of time in the mountains. There are certainly a lot of grouchy men in the mountains. Climbing.. as thats what they do or perhaps of what they think is expected of them.

I think you should do what you are doing and continue to examine your life.

Last year in Nepal, I should have been ultra excited as I was on a trip to climb an unclimbed mountain with my best mate and yet i felt I was going through the motions. I still don't really know what i want in life and i think that may be a blessing as I will always seek new experiences in this f*cking magnificent world but i think its ok to take a step back from mountaineering.

I, like you and every other person who tackles some of the bigger stuff lose friends. 2013 was a particularly bad year for me and of course the question pops up in your head, "is it all worth it". The title of the book, 'conquistadors of the useless' always springs to mind.

I think questioning your desires and motives is always healthy and absence from mountaineering may make the heart grow fonder or perhaps your focus may turn to something else .I was always acutely aware that mountaineering for me was partially an outlet of ego and vanity. i always wanted to be a little bit special, a little bit different from my friends and colleagues. Now, that seems less important.

I still run, I work out.. and I have become a lot better rock climber, thus making sure I dont whither if the mountains come calling again.

But for now I am content not to spend weeks on end planning and organising and making my way to base camps for some windows of climbing. I'll stick close to home for now, nurturing my 'garden' so to speak and see what comes forth.

Good luck.
 Doghouse 15 Aug 2014
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Climb1981)
> Why do you have two accounts on here?
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=148686

Why do you ask?
 mark s 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981: i used to climb loads then 3 years ago just got bored of it.when you look from the outside its not the amazing sport people seem to think it is.
take up another hobby and dabble now and then,i go once every few months when i have a little bit of spare time.
you will enjoy it more then
 barbeg 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Hi mate,

"...but surely someone else has been though this?"

That answer to that, from most of us is undoubtedly a resounding Yes. We've all, at sometime, had periods of manic activity and at others, complete indolence.

I have been climbing & mountaineering, in all its' forms, for 40 years now and have experienced many of the things you describe; great achievements around the world; family pressures; lack of motivation; bad weather days; endless suffering; the search for the perfect; the death of friends; the timeless friendships.
Personally, I have experienced massive highs (literally and metaphorically) and some appalling lows during my mountaineering life, as for me life and mountaineering are inextricably linked. Some of the dark places I have been to I have no wish to revisit....ever. Ironically, climbing and mountaineering has always been my fall-back in life. I eventually realised that for me, the best things that came along in my life were always as a result of my climbing, be it friends, relationships, experiences, opportunities.
Someone, (very well know in our world, an Everest summiteer, but who shall remain nameless), once suggested to me that I think about two questions:
1. Who was I born to be?
2. What was the life I was born to lead?
From that, for me, all else followed. In my fifties now, I am performing at my best, doing what I was born to do.

The answer can only come from within yourself mate, but maybe asking yourself these questions will help you to find your path. We all have an inner voice, an inner guide if you like,.......listen to it.

Email me privately mate if you wish,

Hope this helps....

ANdy

The Bantam 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Giving up might be what you need to do. In that "giving up" is not an irreversible process. I was the same a few years ago, and drifted out of the sport using small injuries, a manic job, and having kids as the reason why, but really I was choosing to spend the free time I had in other ways.

But in the same way I drifted out of it, I have drifted back in over the past few years. And I have a very different relationship to it. I am no longer interested in "pushing my grade", but in just finding climbs that make me smile - the location, the rock, a particular move, the history of the climb, or even just its name! And now my son has started asking if he can climb with me, it gives it another spin. Took him wild camping the other weekend (he is 5) and if was the best camping experience I have ever had! The actually camping in the wilderness, and seeing his joy was the focus - rather than it just being somewhere to lay my head until tomorrow's tick list.

Go with your instincts, but what ever you do, change something - life's too short to feel like you do about precious free time.
 liz j 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Doghouse: 3
Just wondered why he was using a different account to'give up' yet seems still quite keen on his other account?
 ByEek 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

I always remember writing a letter to a nice chap who presents a music show on Band Music on Radio 2 called Frank Renton. I was 18 at the time and had just finished a course he was leading with the Yorkshire Youth County Wind Band. I had just finished my A-levels and was contemplating going to university to do electronics and computing. Only I had enjoyed this music course so much. Should I sack of my career ambition in favour of a degree in music and all that it might hold.

His response to my letter was blunt but excellent. ByEek he said, there are a million and 1 brilliant but bitter flutists out there who hate playing and have lost the love. Stick with your career and enjoy playing music for what it is.

It sounds like you have let climbing take over your life and as a result have lost the love because it is all you do. Put it on the back burner for a while and then go out climbing for the love rather than because you feel it is what you have to do.

I am now a keen member of the mighty Poynton Royal Legion Wind Band. They aren't that good on the scale of excellence but I thoroughly enjoy my jaunts out with them. Had I been a jumped up career flutist, I probably wouldn't have even given them the time of day.
 sea_lene 15 Aug 2014
In reply to liz j:

Never put on a brave face to the world, your friends and colleagues whilst actually underneath it you needed support and advice...?

In reply to the OP: I used to climb trad a lot (not very well! But I was obsessed), got irritated by faff of gear and ropes etc so started soloing to maintain interest, then bare foot soloed a few mountain routes (after reading old climbing stories) but that was it... I was 'over it'. No longer ensued or inspired. So I stopped climbing altogether.

4 years later or so... That was two months ago - I changed jobs and something clicked. I've been psyched since and am remotivated to push on and climb harder than I did previously...

I'd suggest move on, find something that you love to do and when the time is right (if ever) the mountains will nip you and get your attention again.
 Stevie989 15 Aug 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

Bare foot soloed? That just sounds mental! What routes?
 Doghouse 15 Aug 2014
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Doghouse) 3
> Just wondered why he was using a different account to'give up' yet seems still quite keen on his other account?

Well, with all due repsect I would suggest that's his business and nothing to do with you.
 Timmd 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Doghouse:

Yes, me too.
In reply to Climb1981:

You should get out in the rain more marra...
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

Just follow your heart. I had the same feelings when I slowly packed up cycling in 2008 because I'd found climbing - it's hard to come to terms with. I guess it's like falling out of love with a significant other. However, as others have said, there's nothing to stop you going back, as I have gone back to cycling with renewed vigour.

You could also try something different within climbing, like sport or bouldering, to see if it re-ignites the passion.

Best wishes.
 SonyaM 16 Aug 2014
In reply to liz j:

I agree with Doghouse and Timmd. It is his business. I am curious though as to how you figure out someone has two accounts (perhaps I am being daft and it is really simple).

rgold 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:
I have a friend who is a potter. She has a sign on the door of the room she works in that says, "do you want to pot today?"

It always struck me as interesting that she felt it important to confront that question on a daily basis.

I've been climbing for 57 years. For many of those years it was at the rate of about 120 days a year. As I had a family and my work became more and more interesting, climbing tailed down to, at the low point, maybe 10 days a year. Then as I got quite a bit older, it went up to perhaps 30-50 days a year, and now in my dotage (I'm closing in on 71) I'm probably logging 20-30 days a year.

I never completely stopped (my longest layoff was 7 months two years ago for ACL surgery and recovery), but there were years when I certainly didn't do much, and of course the decreased frequency combined with increased age has meant the standard at which I climb has declined significantly.

I gave up real alpine climbing quite a while ago; I got tired of watching giant projectiles whistle by and became convinced they weren't going to keep missing me forever. Fortunately, the US has a vast supply of back country rock climbing (we call it "alpine" but with little or no glaciation I think that's pretentious), as well as some mountain-sized crags. I bouldered extensively before the genre became popular and did a lot of crag climbing. I live a few miles from the Gunks and so can pop out for an afternoon route if I wish.

Which brings me back to my potting friend, who I think was on to something. Don't climb unless you want to. Ask yourself anew on a regular basis, "do I want to climb today?" And then listen to the answer.
Post edited at 08:06
In reply to Climb1981:

If you aren't having fun with it any more then stop. I've been through this myself after having started my own business etc., priorities simply change so follow your heart and do what puts a smile on your face.

Oh and stop reading too much media, I find that sometimes I feel I 'should' be doing something rather than doing what I actually want to be doing because I'm reading too much into what others are up to. It's easy to start comparing yourself to others and forget who 'you' are.

As for depression, I found that forcing myself to do something that no longer inspired me triggered mild depression off.

Follow the smiles!
 Skyfall 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

I think most keen climbers will go through some of this at some point and maybe you've cooked up a bit of a perfect storm i.e. you have made climbing such a huge part of your life it almost defines who you are (been there, done that), seen some of the bad parts of that (the total commitment, continual risk taking, loss of friends) and almost at the same time it feels like your life wants to move on and do other things.

I think you are possibly making the mistake of thinking that this is an all or nothing decision but that's probably driven by your having got to the point that climbing is such a huge part of your life.

About 15 years ago I was hugely into mountaineering, alps and greater ranges, and spent all my time either doing it or training for it. However, life moved on, I reassessed what I wanted from climbing and turned myself much more into a crag rat and found that if anything I love simply trad climbing more than anything else (not that I'm particularly good I would stress). At one point (during my grit phase) I then became aware that I was putting my neck on the block virtually every time I went out climbing and I was starting to dread going out for the next big tick. So again I reassessed what I wanted from it and now I just climb for pleasure. As I've gotten older I also have to manage numerous old injuries. My trad grades have dropped slightly but not much and to be fair have been remarkably consistent for years and I do a lot more holiday/sports climbing. Occasionally I still get the urge to get on something hard and, when I do, it feels good, not the old weary "here we go again" and brace yourself feeling.

I suspect that's a very familiar story to many. Just go with it and see where life takes you. Personally I'd just climb for pleasure for a while and then see what grabs you. Maybe you will lose the urge completely or maybe you will start to love other aspects of the great game.
 nw 16 Aug 2014
In reply to rgold:

That's very cool. I love hearing about people who manage to keep getting out there as the years march on.
 Dogwatch 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

There's three valid reasons to do something:

1. Because you want to.
2. Because you have a moral or altruistic motive.
3. For the money.

None of those seem to apply to your climbing. Stop it then. Why the agonising?

I stopped another sport a few years ago. I used to love it, for fun. Then I started helping organising events and training others, and what had been fun turned in a chore and source of stress. So I stopped. No regrets.
 SonyaM 18 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

> jumping the gun a bit there!

> OP...take a break and see what comes back to you. Ive climbed for 33 years this year and haven't done anything this year but im really enjoying walking again and sitting on top of hills rather than getting up and down quickly.

> Just take it easy and my guess is you may start liking it again.

Since everyone else is saying exactly the same thing, I think my "jumping the gun" and looking at the issue from a different perspective (I am actually professionally qualified to know what I'm talking about) should still be regarded as something to consider.
botheclimber 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Dogwatch:

obsession's are like women, Once the loves gone...move on
 BarrySW19 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

There's more interesting things to do out there than you could do in ten lifetimes. If you've achieved what you want to with climbing then move on.

A few years ago I was heavily into SCUBA diving - all the proper technical multi-gas deco North Sea stuff. But I hit the point where I'd done everything I could within feasible budget and time constraints so stopped and started climbing instead. One day I might well move on from climbing - it's a hobby - you're supposed to enjoy it.
OP Climb1981 29 Aug 2014
Dear all

Thank you for all your replies. It is heart warming to know what others have gone through.

To answer some questions, yes I have a full time job in the healthcare profession, and have been blessed with multiple opportunities to take time out for other pursuits. Some of you have recognised me and thanks for your words

I am taking some time out from it all, and was quite pleased with myself that for the first time in a long time, I had a week off last week and didn't go to the mountains once or made plans to travel abroad. Going to go home and see family and do some other things, and maybe with time, things will change

Thanks for all

eonuk 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Climb1981:

> What else remains for me out there?

I really enjoy taking people who have never climbed before, but are keen to give it a try. Its just good fun with no pressures. Just leading people up VDIff/Severe and teaching them few things - you get to see things through a new pair of eyes.

Climbing used to be my main and only hobby, but nowadays I do other things too: UK scuba diving; snowboarding; cross fit; etc... but I can't imagine I'd ever want to quit climbing for good - rather it has just taken a back seat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...