UKC

Landmannalaugar trail map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fi89 15 Aug 2014

Does anyone who have done the Landmannalaugar trek know if the maps come in any smaller scale than 1:100000, or is this sufficient scale ?

Also if anyone is looking to sell one?
Thanks.
 edunn 15 Aug 2014
In reply to fi89:

Yes they do, but you have to look hard for them, perhaps locally.

The 1:100000 is not good enough for trekking really. Especially in bad weather (which there will be). My advise would be to get a GPS and download a decent map onto it. A combination of the two (map for overall planning, GPS for fine navigation) is a good option.

As for getting maps locally, I found that the locals were really helpful, even over the phone. If you've booked a taxi ride and/or a hotel, then perhaps ask them if they know where you can get the maps and they might source one for you before you get out there?

Enjoy your trip. It's beautiful out there!
lnn 15 Aug 2014
In reply to fi89:

We used this one:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Activities-and-Interests/Sports---Outdoor/Landma...

1:100k was more than adequate as the trail is well marked and busy so not hard to follow. The only bit that is a bit more challenging from a navigation point of view is the extension over to Skogar (it goes high and is by the coast so the weather is often bad) but this is shown at 1:50k on the back of this map.

It's easy to get maps locally, they sell them in the huts in both Landmannalauger and Porsmork. Though I think they are cheaper to buy in the uk.

I would get a new one too, the paper they're printed on is rubbish and ours fell apart despite being in a map case.
OP fi89 15 Aug 2014
In reply to fi89:

Thank you to you both for both replies, I don't own a GPS, but I have ordered the map which is on its way - hopefully familiarised ourselves without by the time we leave for Reykjavik on Sunday.

edunn 15 Aug 2014
In reply to fi89:

Have a great time. It's an amazing part of the world.
 Solaris 15 Aug 2014
In reply to fi89:

I wrote a long and, I hoped, helpful reply but thanks to the wonders of a Stanford's website, I was unable to post it.

One brief comment would be that it'd be worth browsing on Laugavegur (the street) in Reykjavik: there are climbing shops and bookshops that stock books and maps that are pretty much unobtainable in the UK. You can also buy gas there, and cheap(ish!) provisions from Bonus.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...