UKC

Russian Armoured Vehicles cross Ukraine Border

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Aug 2014
How self effacing of that nice Mr Putin to invade the sovereign state of Ukraine with armoured vehicles and troops, to disguise the fact that he's quite cuddly really, and all he really wants to do is deliver humanitarian aid, he really doesn't want to interfere at all...
KevinD 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I am sure there is an innocent reason for it. Although it not I am sure the pro-putin lobby will start ranting about nazis or something.
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2014

I'm confused. How did WWI start?

Didn't all the Big Boys start squaring up to each other until they reached a tipping point?

You can't really blame Putin. The West is getting rather close to his back yard. There used to be a buffer zone, of sorts between Russia and the West but now with Ukraine wanting a western style of life that buffer is being eroded.
 Flinticus 15 Aug 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Getting rather close to his back yard?

There's no chance that the West would invade. That's old Cold War paranoia. No politician in Europe would back anything like that. FFS the US & allies couldn't even control Iraq / Afganistan and those wars were expensive. There's no taste, motivation or real capacity to attack Russia.

The Lemming 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

> There's no taste, motivation or real capacity to attack Russia.

Anybody told Putin or his vodka loving masses?

andyathome 15 Aug 2014

Do you have a link to reports of this invasion? I've not seen any.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> Do you have a link to reports of this invasion? I've not seen any.

Telegraph
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Anybody told Putin or his vodka loving masses?

I have. Well not the former, obvs.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014

Not another thread about 911 conspiracy theories!?
 Doug 15 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

"Russian military vehicles enter Ukraine as aid convoy stops short of border

Armoured personnel carriers and support vehicles cross the border, while the 280-truck convoy comes to a halt separately"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/14/russian-military-vehicles-ente...
 Bruce Hooker 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Doug:

The article seems to have it's mind made up about who to be suspicious of, I wonder how many humanitarian columns organised by Western NGOs get such close scrutiny to see if they are carrying arms.

The story of military vehicles doesn't seem to have been taken up on other media
 Mr Lopez 15 Aug 2014

I don't know how you'd do it, but if i were to send a bunch of trucks filled with goods into a war zone i would sure as hell send a couple of soldiers or 200 ahead to make sure the coast is clear...

Didn't the US (and maybe UK) did just that the last couple of days in Iraq?
 TobyA 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> The story of military vehicles doesn't seem to have been taken up on other media

https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dpQ6CEaAKpgEhlMyMb2Wm3rNv1lCM&q=russia...

> The article seems to have it's mind made up about who to be suspicious of, I wonder how many humanitarian columns organised by Western NGOs get such close scrutiny to see if they are carrying arms.

Ever do magic tricks? You do something showy with one hand to draw attention while your other hand is pulling the trick. "Look at this massive aid convoy of repainted military trucks driven by soldiers" while the weapons smuggling is happening somewhere else. Didn't work for him though.

KevinD 15 Aug 2014

> The article seems to have it's mind made up about who to be suspicious of, I wonder how many humanitarian columns organised by Western NGOs get such close scrutiny to see if they are carrying arms.

I am sure if a western NGO turned up with a fleet of, recently repainted from green, trucks with all the drivers looking like they just misplaced their RLC berets some questions would be asked.
ylem 15 Aug 2014

> Ukrainian president said most of them were destroyed by his troops.

Russo-Georgian War began the way like this: Russian peacekeeping forces based in South Osetia were attacked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War

If the massive Russian invasion have not start yet, nobody "was destroyd".
Post edited at 17:37
 Ridge 15 Aug 2014
In reply to dissonance:

> I am sure if a western NGO turned up with a fleet of, recently repainted from green, trucks with all the drivers looking like they just misplaced their RLC berets some questions would be asked.

From the Guardian article:

But, with their easy manner, lack of discipline and in some cases physiques that hinted more at beer halls than special forces training grounds, the "little brown men" of the aid convoy are clearly not the highly trained elite troops used in the annexation of Crimea

Actually, that does sound remarkably like the RLC...
Removed User 15 Aug 2014

They probably do, by Russian and pro-Russian media. Which we never hear of of course.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...