UKC

South Downs Way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tizer 15 Aug 2014
Hi All,

I'm thinking about doing the South Downs Way at some point this month. Is it well signposted? Is the Harvey map a necessity? Are there any hints or tips for riding it? Can I get away with two bike bottles, or will I need my platypus (I understand water is a problem). I've read the various websites (bikedowns et al), but wanted to hear from anyone who's done it.

My plan is to do it over two days (bivi en route).

Thanks in advance,

tizer
 Trangia 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

Yes water is a problem. Take plenty/and or an adjustable spanner for getting at water troughs.

The route is pretty straightforward, but there are one or two places where it easy to take a wrong turning and get miles off course if you are not paying attention. This applies particularly in low cloud/fog where you can miss a signpost.
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks for the quick response. How would one use an adjustable spanner on a water trough? Apologies if this is a stupid question...
 Trangia 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

The farmers have got wise to people filling water bottles from the ball valve system and most now have a metal cap over them to stop this. Generally the cap can be removed and replaced using a spanner, although this is becoming more difficult to do. I don't think they mind people taking water to drink, but have got p*ssed off by people damaging the ball valves and leaving water running.
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

OK, I see. That's good advice, thanks.

tizer
XXXX 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

It's very well signposted but beware the SDW isn't always the obvious route. I'm thinking of a few places where the main track goes straight on and the SDW turns sharply right/left on narrower tracks. It's quite easy sometimes to get 'hard, rubbly track-itis' and go the wrong way.

I've never had a problem with water on the SDW. There are taps/cafes/pubs available en-route. On my local stretch, I'm thinking of the cafe at Houghton Forest, tap at Amberley, tap at Washington, YHA at Truleigh Hill, Pub at Devils Dyke, ice cream van (seasonal) at Ditchling, tap at the A27, YHA at Itford Farm and beyond that I get hazy in either direction.

OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to XXXX:

OK great and thanks for the advice. Do you think two 1 litre bike bottles will be enough? I don't think I drink more than the average person (water anyway..!).
XXXX 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

Two litres would be plenty. I never run with more than one. If it's a massively hot day, take 2 litres and some cash. You're never far from a town/pub/village and I'd much rather spend £1 on a coke than faff around with farmer's water troughs.

The only one of the taps I mentioned that's iffy is the one at Amberley as it's often off in the winter. But there are two cafes in Houghton by the bridge.

It's a lovely area, don't underestimate the hills, they keep on coming.
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Thanks, the combined elevation is three times that of Snowdon I read somewhere. I imagine there will be some 'bike pushing' going on...
XXXX 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

Where are you going to bivy? It's intensively farmed so there are relatively few places to do so. Best to have a plan before you start.

OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Good question. I had intended on just pulling over somewhere inconspicuous at dusk preferably just over half way and leaving first thing. I've looked at the route on Google Earth and there 'seems' to be plenty of small copses / areas of common land etc... Obviously I won't be crapping, lighting fires and the like, so hoped this would be OK. I know this isn't technically allowed, but... Am I off the mark?
XXXX 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

I'd personally avoid the copses (not usually accessed, lots of undergrowth, manky) and aim for some open access/common land on the north slopes. Luckily for you I live almost half way so I can recommend two sections on the Amberley to Washington section. One is just NE of Kithurst Hill, there is a cross dyke marked on the 1:25 OS map. There are a load of old earth workings there that make good sites. Likewise just west of Rackham Hill, marked as 'earthworks'. You'll need your own water.

There's an excellent bike shop in Storrington if your bike breaks called South Down Bikes.

Forgot to say, the tap at Washington is just west of the A24 on the traditional route, not the extension that goes north through the village and over the bridge. That misses it out.

balmybaldwin 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

A couple of things I remember from the 3 times ive done it.

1) its nearly all chalk, and in the wet chalk gives very little grip. Be particularly wary at points where the sdw joins byways or other paths it can be super slippery especially under trees.
2) QECP at butser has a good liitle cafe....expensive for just a coffee, but reasonable for baked spuds etc. Probably the only cafe actually on the sdw.
3) its not hard on bikes, and every time ive done it is on fully rigid or hard tails.
4) its pretty dull in terms of riding, but great views if you get good weather
5) the south downs are good at collecting weather.... and when wet and windy can be surprisingly cold
6) take your swimmers for a dip in the sea in Brighton
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to XXXX:

That's really useful. I'll check them out now online and will make for those. Thanks again.

tizer
 CurlyStevo 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

theres also a tap at saddlescomb farm (the farm is just after you cross the road after comming by devils dyke from the west) that they allow for walkers etc to use.
 Trangia 15 Aug 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

All good points, particularly the weather. It can be surprisingly remote and bleak up there, even in summer and even more so in winter. In a storm you can almost imagine you are up on somewhere like the Carneddau - well, nearly

I've never cycled the whole route but have walked it, and agree that at times it gets a bit dull with hill after hill, but generally great views.

As for camping /bivying we took 4 nights and put the tent up late in the day and dropped it at dawn long after and before anyone else was around. Virtually anywhere out of the wind will do. Gorse bushes make good wind breaks, and as has been said there are lots of hollows and bumps to shelter in, and some flintstone walls and old barns to pitch behind.

I often do day walks along the Eastern sections between Chanctonbury Ring and Eastbourne.

I've known the Downs for the last 34 years and love them - it's the nearest we get to remote country here in the South East, and in winter Lewes holds the dubious record of having been the scene of the worst recorded fatal avalanche in Britain when a row of cottages was buried in the 18th century.
 balmybaldwin 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

Theres one just outside english woodland timber ltd on the top of cocking hill
 victorclimber 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

if your biking it you shouldn't have any problem with water ..
 BazVee 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:
Living in the south downs NP hopefully I can give some good advice.

The Harveys map is fine as long as you don't want to go far off the route itself, generally signposting is OK and reasonably easy to follow. Its also waterproof the Harveys map that is.

I've done it three times always from Winchester to Eastbourne. Done it in a day which took 13 hrs 15 mins and also two and three days. When I've stopped overnight I've always used B&B but years ago I have stopped just off the route in a tent.

The following website shows the locations of the taps along the route, don't need a spanner, just make sure you plan your stops so as not to run out.

http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/Water%20taps.htm

Otherwise hope its doesn't rain and yes the route has a lot of ups and downs which results in total of 12,000 ft of ascent.

Best of luck
Post edited at 19:07
 Brass Nipples 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

There's usually an ice cream can to be found about 75% through your first day. Plenty of olaces to bivvy if you stop late. Eat at pubs to keep it lightweight, book or iPod assuming not bivvying near pub.
 mbh 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

I walked it alone twenty six years ago, in what I've always remembered to have been a couple of days. This seems improbable now, but I did do fifty miles in at least one of the days, and I can only remember one overnight stop, which was on a pile of hay bales in a field. I stopped late and got going again at first light. Met a guy en route and we did the W3000s together the following year.
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:
Thank you all for your replies. Some really great advice and no nasty surprises, which is a relief. If any of you are walking / biking the route over the bank holiday weekend and you see a bloke pushing his bike up all the big hills, say hi! If we're near a pub, I'll buy you a pint!
Post edited at 21:42
 Mike Redmayne 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

It's a great route, I've done it in a (long) day a couple of times. The Harvey's map is very useful. It is pretty well signposted but it is possible to miss the signs in places, especially if going fast. I've found the taps along the way sufficient, your 2 litres between taps should be fine. It is horrible in the rain. The flint can rip tyres really badly, take something to repair tyres and not just inner tubes. Gaffer tape works ok for me (wrap some round your pump) you can get specific tyre boots too. The surface is good most of the way, you don't need very nobly tyres so if you want to go fast get something with a shallow tread like race kings. Enjoy it.
OP tizer 15 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

On a side note, I had toyed with the idea of snoozing near the chanctonbury ring (that looked like a good spot on the os maps) until I read this - http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/west-sussex/featured-sites/chanc...

Sod that!
XXXX 16 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

It's a lovely spot. There is no chance of being disturbed by any evil spirits but there is a high chance of adolescent 'pagans' strumming the same chord over and over again on a shit guitar, singing, drinking cider and carving pentagons into tree trunks. Also, you have to run around the ring to summon the devil and it's a long way.

Try Cissbury Ring to the south if you want an authentic stone age hill fort experience with commanding views. It's the best on the Downs IMO and not too far off route.

I will undoubtedly be out over the bank holiday weekend shouting "TIZER" at every cyclist.
 thermal_t 16 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer: I did it in a day about 4 years ago on my birthday and was the single hardest thing I have ever done, we set off from Eastbourne at about 4am and finished at about 10:30pm in time for a pint in Winchester.

Best tip I can give you is prepare against punctures, as I'm sure you are aware you are pretty much riding on arrowheads the entire way. Two of us prepared against them with everything a bike shop could throw at us, our other friend didn't, I think he got around 9 punctures which held us up massively, I didn't get any and my other friend only got the 1. I put puncture resistant tyres on, slime filled tubes and the yellow tyre lining felt inside the tyre.

Navigation wise we cheated and had a Garmin 705 loaded with the OS style map, although the battery ran out with about 25 miles to go. It is well signposted, but you have to keep your eyes peeled as sometimes it branches off what looks like the main path.

Have fun, although it is a bit of a slog route with wide open track most of the way, there are a lot of fun, fast descents.
 JimmAwelon 17 Aug 2014
In reply to tizer:

RE: Chanctonbury Ring - I tried to camp up there one night with 3 other scouts; must have been late 1980's during our Chief Scouts Challenge. We got very spooked, a storm came in, the cows got even more spooked and we had to strike camp in the middle of the night or risk getting trampled. Had not heard any of the stories at that time but it all starts to add up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...