UKC

wild camping in Lakes for 2 nights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mastermiaow 15 Aug 2014
Hi

I am going to Lake District Thurs 28th - Mon 1st September. I'd like to do a route that encompasses two nights wild camping 1st and 4th night at camp site/bunkhouse with showers etc. I am coming by train so will need to take a taxi to first camp site via supermarket. So first camp site needs to be within 10 miles of train station.
I am an experienced walker on Dartmoor and have done many wild camps there but don't know the Lakes. I have good wet weather gear and know how you to use compass and map. I was there at the beginning of August and camped near Pooley Bridge and walked up High Street contouring round Loadpot Hill and then down to Howtown and back along the side of Ullswater. I loved it.
I understand Striding Edge and Helvellyn are like the M25 so am really looking for places where I will find the least number of people. Does anyone have any advice on good routes and areas to wild camp.
Many thanks for any advice
Matthew
 MonkeyPuzzle 15 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:

I always use this site for inspiration: http://v-g.me.uk/TripsPhotos/TripsPhotosArea.htm
In reply to mastermiaow:

I camped on Saturday night on the north side of Crag hill via Causey pike and Sail and did Sand hill and Grisedale pike the next day. I don't drive so had to walk from Keswick.

I've also camped near Scales tarn on Blencathra but itself and Skiddaw are a bit isolated from the rest of the Lakes without a car.

Tom
 Billhook 15 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:

If you get up before everyone else - say 11am - and head off up to Striding Edge you'll only find the late starters from the day before.
 Si Withington 15 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:

Train to Windermere. Bus to Langdale. Walk over Crinkles to Three Tarns. Drop down and camp at Great Moss under the Scafells. Remote. Rarely visited. Beautiful. Don't tell anyone.
mastermiaow 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

Hi
I am assuming this is a joke!
mastermiaow 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Stamford Raffles:

Yeah I looked at this and I think as I am coming from London, realistically either Penrith or Windermere are starting points so north-west area not so good. What is your view on doing High Street linking walk from Ullswater to Windermere with detours for wild camping e.g Troutbeck etc
 Dauphin 17 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:
NW is pretty easy to get at from Penrith Station. Bus services are excellent - as long as you don't want to go anywhere early in the morning.

D

P.S. West in the best.
Post edited at 20:55
mastermiaow 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

This looks interesting. Thanks! I have only got OL5 and 0L6 which are east side of lakes so a bit in the dark. In terms of a 4 day trip I can see there is a campsite at Langdale. I guess then a two day circuit and back there.
Found this http://ragpickinghistory.co.uk/2011/10/10/wild-spaces-great-moss/
Bit concerned about journey - will be two trains and bus from London.
looks more remote than Plan A which was High Street down from Ullswater ending up at Windermere. Although this is easier logistically - do you know latter?
Many thanks again

Matthew
mastermiaow 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Thanks and good to know where the least number of people will be. Can see that Keswick is OK with one bus from station to nice campsite at Thornwaite. So from there can explore south towards Scafell and do some kind of loop back up to Keswick on final day.

much obliged

Matthew
 Dauphin 18 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:
Come out into Borrowdale. Tea & Scones at Shepards. Get the launch back into Keswick from Lodore for extra points. Failing that a bus from Rosthwaite.

D

Its over a weekend so unless the weather is totally shite I would expect to meet a few souls. Many.
Post edited at 00:11
 Billhook 18 Aug 2014
In reply to mastermiaow:
The crowds generally avoid starting earlier than 9 or 10am

So there is some truth in it!
Post edited at 09:12
 sargy 10 Sep 2014

The most memorable two-day trip I did started at Hardknott Castle. Walked up the Esk valley up to Great Moss- definitely a route less trod. From there we scampered up Scafell and dropped down to Sprinkling Tarn for a wildcamp. The next morning we followed Esk House, Esk Pike, Bowfell and then Crinkle Crags before dropping back down to Great Moss and back down to Hardknott. You could easily extend this by wildcamping in or around Lingmell on the other side of Scafell and using this as a base to explore great scrambling routes around Gable etc. You could even drop down to Wasdale Head to stay at the NT campsite for showers and pub grub?
Post edited at 08:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...