UKC

Steeplechaser Disqualified

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/15/mahiedine-mekhissi-benabbad-st...

What an extraordinarily disproportionate sanction for doing something that harmed or impeded no-one.

I think the Spanish athletics federation who appealed and the spineless bureaucrats who upheld it have done a far better job of bringing the sport into disrepute than a celebrating shirtless athlete.

In a final irony, it bumped a druggie up into the bronze medal position. Brilliant.
 The New NickB 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

Clear and well established rules on removing your number, this particular Frenchman is a well known and practiced arsehole.
OP Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

There are clear rules on parking on a double yellow, but you don't get life imprisonment for it, however much of an arsehole you are.
 john arran 15 Aug 2014
Far from life imprisonment, he just gets his day ruined. It just so happens that the day he chose to risk ruining was one of the most important days of his sporting life.

When I watched it at the time even I thought he could be disqualified for doing that, and I'm not even a runner. He must have been much more aware he was pushing his luck, so either he wanted the publicity and/or he was stupid.

Edited to add second para.
Post edited at 18:14
 wintertree 15 Aug 2014

If he doesn't care about the technicality of the rules, he's unlikely to care that his victory was not recognised on a technicality...
OP Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2014
In reply to john arran:

> Far from life imprisonment, he just gets his day ruined. It just so happens that the day he chose to risk ruining was one of the most important days of his sporting life.

> When I watched it at the time even I thought he could be disqualified for doing that, and I'm not even a runner. He must have been much more aware he was pushing his luck, so either he wanted the publicity and/or he was stupid.

Or got carried away.
 tim000 15 Aug 2014

> Or got carried away.

now that would be cheating

> There are clear rules on parking on a double yellow, but you don't get life imprisonment for it, however much of an arsehole you are.

Who got life imprisonment?
In reply to john arran:

He was previously had a fight with another athlete, during a race and assaulted a mascot! He is very much the Louis Saurez of the Steeplechase.
 wbo 15 Aug 2014
I've see kids disqualified for not having their vests tucked in so this is pretty unsurprising
>
> What an extraordinarily disproportionate sanction for doing something that harmed or impeded no-one.

The cost of arrogant stupidity is always high
 Al Evans 16 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Surely he was disqualified for being a dickhead, forget his shirt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...