UKC

Quiet turbo trainer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 15 Aug 2014
Do they exist or do they all sound like a jet engine?
Any recommendation for a "quiet" turbo or should I just go for rollers?
 balmybaldwin 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Pids:

Mine (tacx satori) isnt too bad, but you arent going to get a completely quiet one its quiet enough I dont need to turn the tv up, but load enough to annoy someone in the same room. The prob is vibrations (over tyre noise) so more expensive fan ones that are better balanced. Gel ones are even quieter.

I woukd offer you mine as its for sale, but I suspect it would cost more to post than its worth
 Morgan Woods 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Pids:

My flat mate has rollers which are a) dead quiet and b) apparently require a bit more balance etc for the duration of the session which uses lots of "other" muscles. As a flatmate the first is defo a good thing....as a non-cyclist i can't comment on the other.
 JLS 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Pids:

A solid 700x20 "racer" tyre (look under 28") helps....

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/bicycle-tyres.php

Useless, for anything but turbo training, so you'd need a dedicated wheel for it.

Is the turbo magnetic resistance rather than with noisy fans?

Typical rollers don't offer enough resistance for effective training.
OP Pids 16 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

Liking the green tyre idea for the commuting bike, would save a lot of faff never getting a puncture!

Borrowing a set of rollers this afternoon to try out, see what they are like but suspect I will keep looking for a quiet turbo

JLS 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Pids:
>"Liking the green tyre idea for the commuting bike"

NO !!! They are p!sh. The turbo is their only practical use. The green tires will have you glued to the road and put tens of minutes onto your commute time. Pneumatic tyre were invented for a reason.
Post edited at 19:36
OP Pids 16 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

That bad?
Currently run with schwable marathon plus to stop punctures (6 years and not one so far) but need to replace current tyre, thought it may have been an option but perhaps not then

(Not the same tyre for 6 years, normally last max 1 year)
 JLS 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Pids:

Looks like you've got a good solution already.
 Wee Davie 16 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

Had a set of solid tyres similar to those on a 531 roadbike 20 odd years ago. As you say they are shocking for normal use. Have a vivid memory of nearly ending up under a bus after attempting a 90 degree junction in slightly greasy conditions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...