UKC

Newcastle to Bergen ferry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Smith 16 Aug 2014
Does anyone have any idea what is happening/has happened with the plans to reinstate this crossing? I'm sure last I heard they had planned to have it up and running in April but I can't seem to find any mention of it past that!

Cheers,

James
 mike123 16 Aug 2014
In reply to James S:
I was googling this a few days ago, the best i could find was this
http://www.stavangertravel.com/news/newcastle-stavanger-bergen-ferry-update...
We got the ferry from ijmauden to Newcastle last week and it saved us loads of drivingon the way home from the Netherlands , I reckon anybody living up North should consider this as an option to help get the car on the way to Norway or Northern Europe .
Post edited at 11:48
OP James Smith 16 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Yeah, pretty much as I thought, lots of exciting rumours but that's about it!

Looking to get to Lofoten eventually but either way I think we're looking at a pretty long drive...especially now the Harwich-Esbjerg crossing is being culled in September!

Thanks for that link though, its got a couple of helpful things in it!

James
 WJM 18 Aug 2014
In reply to James S:

For freight but it says that it is also available for passengers :

http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_ferries/north_sea_ferries/brevik_imming...

I haven't made any enquiries as I can't see I will be getting back to Norway for a yr or so . Might be a good alternative to a long drive from the Netherlands .
 AndyC 18 Aug 2014
In reply to James S:

Several articles in the Norwegian news back in April - they couldn't get enough backing to start it this year. They are now talking about 2015 as being 'more realistic'. Basically, don't hold your breath!
 Rubbishy 18 Aug 2014
In reply to James S:

I am also looking into this for a possible trip to Archangel in a Lighweight Landy.

I have been told they will take non commercial vehicles in the commercial ferry - I'll post more when I have done some homework.
 ebygomm 18 Aug 2014
In reply to John Rushby:

Everything I have read suggests they will take private vehicles on the cargo vessels but won't guarantee a spot so you could be bumped at the last minute.

Would be interested to hear if that wasn't the case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...