UKC

Route finding on The Long Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ozandrew 17 Aug 2014

Can anybody point me in the direction of route information on The Long Climb, at Ben Nevis? I've got Classic Rock, the relevant SMC guide/s and Scottish Rock, but the route descriptions and the topos seem a tad wanting for a route of this length and complexity. Belts and braces perhaps but given the stories I keep hearing of "off route adventures"...
Post edited at 18:34
 Merlin 17 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

Haha! You're right, 420m, not a single note.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=556
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 17 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

JH Bell's book A progress in mountaineering has a detailed topo of the orion face, showing all the variations. ( I think there are 27, so no wonder people get confused) IIRC the line described takes in the best and hardest pitches on the way to the top, so i'd suggest that if you start at the bottom and get to the top, then that's the route!
 top cat 17 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

When I did it things started badly: there was so much snow banked up [in July] that it took me a while to realise that I'd started close to the top of the first pitch.

No problems once I'd sorted that out. Assuming viz is good enough you can see where you're heading............

It's a great adventure.!
In reply to ozandrew:

To be honest. I can't see why people get lost,using a little mountain sense, I soloed this onsight, a few years ago and it was all pretty obvious, just follow the major features, such as the parallel cracks of the first rib, the basin, second slab rib, by the crest etc.
 Andy Nisbet 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

I got completely lost. It was wet and manky, poorly protected, and graded Severe in those days. I was happy to escape on to NE Buttress.
 JayPee630 17 Aug 2014

Because not everyone is such the rock warrior that you obviously are. Stop being such a tool, of course it's entirely understandable that people get lost on it.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Like I said Andy, you should have used a little mountain sense hehe!, fine in the dry, I really enjoyed the whole experience.
 Andy Nisbet 17 Aug 2014

> Like I said Andy, you should have used a little mountain sense hehe!, fine in the dry, I really enjoyed the whole experience.

It was dry weather, and still wet.
 Captain Solo 18 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

I know Scottish Rock topo is way off the mark, too far left.
I think the SMC Ben Nevis guide is adequate.
First 60m scramble is probably mostly still covered up.
First slab rib side wall to the left is speckled white, I've seen 2 teams on separate occasions miss the slab and go underneath this side wall.
After that a long rightwards diagonal traverse gains the foot of the second slab rib which can be seen from below.
After that pitch trend diagonally left over more mossy rock towards the 40ft corner on NE buttress, top section open to variation.
I'll dig out a photo and make up a topo tonight.
Capt.
OP ozandrew 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Captain Solo:

That would be brilliant!!!
 Captain Solo 18 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

I will email you topos, anyone else wanting one I'll do likewise.
Don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone!
 Colin Moody 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Captain Solo:

Slap it in your gallery Captain.
 Wee Davie 18 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

I'd want a drought prior to getting on this, and visibility to John o'Groats.
 Captain Solo 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

photos uploaded
 Captain Solo 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin:

> Haha! You're right, 420m, not a single note.

I will put a description on ukc logbook cos that's the sort of guy I am (an anorak not altruistic!)

beds74 25 Aug 2014
In reply to ozandrew:

Hi

Wouldn't bother over rated....do minus one direct. Wandering choss for the last 4/5 pitches.
 Captain Solo 25 Aug 2014
In reply to beds74:

Might not be an option if you only climb up to VS.
I read your comments in the logbooks and can only assume you were off route and in the wet?
If the optimum line is taken on a good day and in dry conditions it is a great day out.
I know its only an opinion but I found it to be an absorbing experience anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...