UKC

Anyone got a Superlite Quasar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 17 Aug 2014

How do you find it?

It's top of the shortlist but I wanted to garner a few first hand reports after my recent disastrous Lightwave experience.

In particular are there any issues with the non-taped seams or general durability issues?

Cheers.
Post edited at 19:26
 Wonrek 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got one but it's only been used a handful of times. That bring said dome of those outings were on Dartmoor and it's robust enough for that so far. Muzzle though no hoolies in it yet.
Removed User 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I've had a Quasar for years. I'm not sure if it was called a "superlight" or an "ultra" but it was supposedly the lightweight version.

I love it but it did suffer from the original poles which were prone to snapping and were replaced (by Terra Nova at the time). I think one of the new poles has since broken at the end but a slight modification with a hacksaw has resulted in a slightly shorter but no less serviceable version.

I've never had any issues with leaks etc.

TBH, the Quasar is really a base camp tent or one you might pitch up on a glacier but it really doesn't fit the image (in my mind) of an ultra lightweight tent for taking to the top.
 Phil1919 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

My quasar isn't a superlight, but the poles have broken continuously. I rarely use it now for that reason.
 Bloodfire 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got the endurance quasar which is heavier but tougher. I'd agree that it's really not designed to be a lightweight or backpacking tent, rather it's more expeditionish. I have used it for multi day back packing but only when I can share the load so that one is carrying the inner, the other the fly one the hardware and the other the the cooking stuff. Mine is 15 years old and still solid. I've gone on a bit but I just love talking about my tent!
 gethin_allen 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd like to see a comparison done with the pretenders to the quasar, there must a be a few different versions; the coleman phactX2 and the "North ridge" rip off for a start. The coleman version even claims to be a fair bit lighter and about £300 cheaper at RRP.
OP DaveHK 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Whilst all input is welcome it seems that with the exception of Wonrek the answer to my question at this point is no!

The Superlite comes in at 2.5kg so it definitely shifts the Quasar into back packing tent territory but I was a little concerned about the seams and durability.
 Welsh Kate 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I have a Superlite Voyager which uses the same materials as the SL Quasar. I've never had a problem with durability or waterproofness even before I finally got round to seam-sealing it recently (I had some sealer from another tent so did the job). You have to be a bit more careful with it than the toughie 'full weight' version but if you're sensible about what you're pitching it on you should be fine.
 Reach>Talent 17 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
A friend has one and I have seen it pitched in some fairly rotten weather, I haven't heard him complaining about it. His normal method of getting bits off the bottom of the tent is to grab it by one corner and shake it vigorously so it seems fairly solid, that said I doubt it would survive being sat on

I think he did end up buying a footprint for it as the base seems pretty thin.
 gavster 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

ive got a ultra quasar and found it really good , ive used it for wild camping for 5 years in all sorts of conditions.its been in deep snow at tops of uk mountains through to heavy rain and gales. its super robust but you will need a foot print because moisture can get through the groundsheet.
 duchessofmalfi 18 Aug 2014
In reply to gavster:

I've also got an ultra quasar - it has stayed rock solid when all other tents have failed. It is also very nice to be holed up in compared with most tents. The base is thin but mine doesn't leak. My chief complaint is the entrances are narrow and getting in and out in a massive down jacket in winter requires some contortions.
 MG 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I have had a couple of versions of the quasar including the Ultra (=super light?) and the poles all broke for no reason, as others found. Terranova very unhelpful when reported. I now have a Light wave with no problems...
 Carolyn 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Another with an Ultra Quasar - but this one does has taped seams, and so isn't the same thing as the Superlite version.

Generally been a great tent (still going strong after at 15 years), but poles have been a bit of an issue. A number have had to be replaced....

The ripstop fabric's been fine, but I've no idea if that's the same as the Superlite - given there's about 1kg weigh difference between the two it may not be!
 Timmd 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:
My Quasar poles have been fine since got it for xmas approx 15 years ago.

I wonder if it'd be possible to make a timeline of TN tent purchases on here and have a guess at when they may have had faulty poles delivered?

An ex TN employee once came very close to saying they'd had a duff batch of poles on here...
Post edited at 12:28
 Carolyn 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Yes, I imagine that's the case - I have a very slightly older Trisar, whose poles seem identical, have been used in some pretty horrible weather, and have been absolutely fine. Whereas the Quasar's had three or four replaced.

On reflection, the Quasar's probably close to 20 years old!
 Simon Caldwell 18 Aug 2014
In reply to gavster:

> ive got a ultra quasar ... you will need a foot print because moisture can get through the groundsheet.

Mine did that. Though for "moisture" read "puddles of water".
TN told me it was down to normal wear and tear, despite being only 4 years old or so, so I've not bought a TN tent since.
 Kelcat 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I had one for a couple of years, my comments would be:
Bombproof - but difficult to put up quickly on your own.
Felt fragile - never managed to damage it though & I'm clumsy.
Went up inner first - a pain compared to most.
Nice & roomy if you're out for a few days.
Porches are really small - you can just get a rucksac in each end.
Cold in winter if you're on your own.

hth.
 Dr.S at work 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Kelcat:
my mates got trashed first outing after 3 nights camped near Ben Alder, not over impressed to walk back to the tent after a night on the hill and finding it a mess of shredded fabric and poles.
 L.A. 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK: If I were to get something bigger than my Minaret Id be looking at another Macpac. Strong,Pitch as one, Brilliant groundsheet and stronger poles than Quasars. Possibly a bit cheaper too.
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping-Equipment/Tents/Mountain-Tent...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...