UKC

Temperature and midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonny taylor 18 Aug 2014
I haven't been into the highlands for the last month, but looking at current weather forecasts things sound distinctly chilly, certainly it's been cold in Glasgow for the last week. Would anyone like to speculate what that means for midges now and for the rest of the summer? Is it cold enough to suppress them for the coming weekend, and is there even a chance that the cold spell will wipe them out for the season (optimistic maybe!?).

[Had a quick search of post titles and don't think anyone has asked this recently...]
 CurlyStevo 18 Aug 2014
In reply to jonny taylor:
It will make very little difference until the first hard frost. Current forecasts don't look very frosty. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfjs69wkh
Post edited at 12:24
 Sherlock 18 Aug 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Doubt they'll be out in the NW Highlands this week.Unless they've invested in Gore-Tex.....

OP jonny taylor 18 Aug 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Fair enough, I've been reading about frost in valleys on MWIS, but sounds like you don't reckon it's enough yet.

In terms of temporary effects, a temperature of 12 degrees at valley level in the middle of the day wouldn't be enough to put them off for the day then?
 CurlyStevo 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

Midgies can't fly in winds over 5mph, so if you are at a breezy location that can be fine too. Very heavy rain may well also keep the midgies at bay although the forecast in the NW this week is for changelable conditions rather than persistent heavy rain or strong winds.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfk36e99k
 CurlyStevo 18 Aug 2014
> Fair enough, I've been reading about frost in valleys on MWIS, but sounds like you don't reckon it's enough yet.

I wouldn't have thought they would have been strong enough. Also when it's cold the glens do tend to be quite a bit colder at night than the tops.

> In terms of temporary effects, a temperature of 12 degrees at valley level in the middle of the day wouldn't be enough to put them off for the day then?

Definitely not.

JohnnyW 18 Aug 2014

> In terms of temporary effects, a temperature of 12 degrees at valley level in the middle of the day wouldn't be enough to put them off for the day then?

No chance. This weekend was filthy, cold and windy, but in the lull on Friday PM, the b*****s munched me good at Dalwhinnie!
OP jonny taylor 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Oh dear, hard luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...