UKC

Ledgowan bunkhouse, Gerry's or......?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 18 Aug 2014
Doing some work around the Monar hills this weekend, so needing to organise a bed. My experience of these two when I was doing my Munro round was a little, well, er, grim.

Any suggestions for alternatives?
 kwoods 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Kinlochewe? I think the bunkhouse is a subsidiary of the hotel.
 Sherlock 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
The bunkhouse at the Kinlochewe Hotel is much better than it used to be.Added advantage of being next to an excellent wee bar
Post edited at 12:57
OP JohnnyW 18 Aug 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks Kevin, but it's much of a muchness, and that little bit more driving. In that particular establishment one particular time, we fell out with the owners so bad that they gave us free bed-nights. On going back a good few years later, it wasn't much better I'm afraid.

There is a dearth of decent basic accommodation in this area full-stop. The hotels seem to provide bunkhouses reluctantly, as they aren't making enough money out of you. I simply cannot afford their standard rates.

And Gerry's is, well, Gerry's!
OP JohnnyW 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

Yes, I do admit it had improved a little, but that way Hyacinth Bucket looks at you hasn't!
 Sherlock 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
When was the last time you stayed there?I think it changed ownership a couple of years ago and was up for sale again recently.

Dauphin 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

Anyone know if it has been sold?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47427248.h...

Answered my own question.

Busy up there all year round now. Wish I had a spare million to make it happen.

D
OP JohnnyW 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

Last year.

It was definitely the same woman I spoke to. Been reading some of her responses on TripAdvisor.....she certainly fights her corner. The thing is, many of the issues raised are what we experienced, and I just have this aversion to giving my money over to people who don't appreciate my custom, more tolerate it.
 Tim Davies 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
I stayed at the kinlochewe bunkhouse two years ago and it was appallingly filthy.
Bivouac huts in the alps are cleaner.
Apologies if it's been renovated/ fumigated since.

DaveHK 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Gerry's was, shall we say, a little odd when I stayed there many moons ago.
 gerryneely 18 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Bothy near Coulags might suit you. About 50mins from main road.
 drunken monkey 19 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW: Some of the comments on tripadvisor are ermm interesting. As are the hotels replies! Me thinks these people shouldnt be in the hospitality trade!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g551963-d194321-r133235289-Led...
OP JohnnyW 19 Aug 2014
In reply to gerryneely:

Thanks Gerry, I did consider this, but am leading 3 separate routes from different places, so it adds a lot to the day each time.
OP JohnnyW 19 Aug 2014
In reply to drunken monkey:

Yeah, my point exactly really..........
Removed User 19 Aug 2014

> Some of the comments on tripadvisor are ermm interesting. As are the hotels replies! Me thinks these people shouldnt be in the hospitality trade!

Christ almighty he goes on a bit! FWIW I go in there for the odd pint and always found it pretty friendly. No idea about the bunkhouse though.

OP: AFAIK it's a toss-up between Ledgowan and Gerry's. If you can get on ok with Gerry then it's an ok place, in an alternative universe kind of way.
OP JohnnyW 20 Aug 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Aye, Ledgowan full anyway, so Gerry's it is, or roughing it in the car! Might camp at Ledgowan..........but midges and rain I have had a belly full of this year
 hokkyokusei 20 Aug 2014

> Some of the comments on tripadvisor are ermm interesting. As are the hotels replies! Me thinks these people shouldnt be in the hospitality trade!

I stayed in the Ledgowan Lodge bunkhouse for four nights a few weeks ago. For £15.50/night, the bunkhouse itself is a bit grim, especially when you discover that you are sharing one toilet and shower with potentially nine other bunkhouse occupants and however many people happen to be camping - though you do also get access to the loos in the lodge itself. Kitchen and dining room are very cramped for ten people.

The bar in the lodge is a bit expensive for drinks though the food served there is not overpriced and perfectly adequate. But the best thing is that you can take your drinks through to the lounge and chill out on the leather sofas. Very civilized after a 13 and a half hour day on the hill!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...