UKC

Guidebooks & Maps - Shelf size?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc23 18 Aug 2014
This is a bit OCD, but someone will know.

I'm building a wall of random sized box shelves in the man cave, like this :

http://www.sokart.com/image/boxshelves%20floating.jpg

I've already sorted a narrow & deep box for OS maps so they fit in neatly end-on so you can read the spine labels.

Is there a standard or maximum size for guidebooks? I have a few that all seem to be around the same size (FRCC, CC & Yorks Limestone). The lancs brick is obviously unique, but are there many others that are slightly larger that will annoying not fit? I don't have any rockfax guides. Are they all around the same size (21cm high)?

Steve

In reply to sbc23:

I made the shelves on my bookshelf just slightly larger than an OS map. I've not come across a guide book that doesn't fit.
 top cat 18 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

I've done a similar thing recently. Some guides I stack flat, if that makes sense? I find I can get more on the shelf that way and don't have to crank my neck to read the spine. Given that they don't get taken out on a daily basis a stack isn't an issue. 60 guides and adding: I have ticks in all but 4. Need to do something about that!
 Mark Bull 18 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

Can't think of any that are bigger than Rockfax. Cordee site gives dimensions for most - http://www.cordee.co.uk

deacondeacon 18 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

If you boulder some of the guidebook sizes will really mess with your OCD.

OP sbc23 18 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

Cheers, Rockfax look the largest and all around the same size.
pasbury 19 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

US guides tend to be bigger but no more so than rockfax.
In reply to sbc23:

> This is a bit OCD, but someone will know.

Glad you asked

The folder supplied with the latest Climb Shetland Miniguides is 230mm although the guides themselves are A5 (210mm).
The largest extant guidebook IS the Lancashire brick - 217mm.
The BMC 1999 Peak Limestone Wye Valley two volume guidebook and the 1996 Cicerone Cornish Rock guidebook are both 216mm.
The Jingo Wobbly Climber's Handbook to England & Wales is 215mm.
The 2003 SWMC Gower & SE Wales guidebook is 213mm.

Out of the rest of the current UK guidebooks around a quarter are now A5 (210mm), the bulk of which are portrait format although perhaps there are half a dozen bouldering and sport guidebooks in A5 landscape format.

There is then another fifth between 190-200mm comprising SMC & Presda Press at 200mm and the BMC & YMC at 192/190mm.

Around one in six are 178mm (or 174mm with card covers) including the latest CC & Cicerone guides.

After A5 the next most common size still comprising nearly quarter of UK guides is 170mm produced by the FRCC and Ground Up and previously by the CC & YMC.

A few of the older SMC guidebooks at 165mm have not been replaced and then there are a handful at other sizes including the Rockfax Pockets format at 148mm and some Cordee guides of various non-standard sizes.

HTH
OP sbc23 21 Aug 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

HTH? Yes. Thanks
Lusk 21 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:
Will you be shelving them in alpabetical, by area or by height order?

Have you fully thought this out?!
Post edited at 18:18
In reply to Lusk:
> Will you be shelving them in alpabetical, by area or by height order?
> Have you fully thought this out?!

What about by publisher or chronological order?

Greenbanks 23 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:

Just depends if you are interested in shelving any of the 'selected' versions or those of historical value; as being discussed on an adjacent thread, Ron James's Rock Climbing in Wales' would challenge any shelving system
In reply to Greenbanks:
> Ron James's Rock Climbing in Wales' would challenge any shelving system

Indeed, the first and second editions are 217mm tall, tying with the BMC Lancashire brick as the tallest. However, after spending yesterday putting my entire collection of historical guides into a shiny new bookcase I can safely say that Constable are by no means alone in having producing anomalously sized guides over the years.

The CC have regularly produced larger (journal) format interim guides and new routes guides plus ones like Into the Blue and the current Portland guide. The BMC are responsible for 4 larger guides in the 1990s, whilst the SMC and YMC have both produced supplements or new routes guides in A5 format rather than the same size as their normal guides. The SMC also lost it's way around 1980 publishing the hardback Glencoe & Glen Etive guide which was completely different from those before and after.

As far as I am aware the most consistent publishers in terms of format seem to gave been the FRCC, Cicerone Press and West Col.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...