UKC

Aquaplane Slab (St Davids) - Abseil stake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Smith 19 Aug 2014
On a recent trip to St Davids I went to go and climb at Porth-y-ffynnon. On going to inspect the abseil stake above Aquaplane Slab (routes Purple People Eater and Aquaplane) I found that all that remained was a rusty bit of metal sticking about 10cm out of the ground, I wouldn't hang anything off it, let alone myself.
Thought it worth putting up on here in case anyone tries to have a go on the routes from a low tide access and having a shock at the top (only fence posts (naughty) or gorse roots as anchors). Will email crag moderator as well.
Cheers
Matt
 Chris Murray 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Matt Smith:

I saw that too when I was there earlier in the month. I think it's unlikely that anyone would climb the routes without inspecting the "stake" as the loose nature of the last few metres pretty much necessitates a rope from the stake hanging a couple of metres down the cliff.
 Becky E 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Matt Smith:

I recall it being very similar a couple of years ago. We supplemented it with a few slings tied round gorse bushes. Not the best of belays, and we certainly didn't abseil off it but scrambled round at low tide. We attached the rope to the stake/gorse belay in advance, and put some knots in to help with climbing out the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...