UKC

Places to stay in Durham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 20 Aug 2014
Any recommendations for inexpensive B&B in Durham? My instinct and preference was the Youth Hostel - but it only operates outside term times, being a hall of residence, and as I have to go there to deliver Little Miss Busy to uni at the end of September, that won't do. I'm looking for something within walking/bus ride/short taxi distance of the city centre, as we want to go by train.

Suggestions gratefully received.
 Tom Valentine 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Travelodge. It's a converted railway station, 10 mins downhill to centre.
 jonny taylor 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Don't have any particular recommendations I'm afraid (though I've known people stay at the travelodge... a bit noisy but not bad). If you want a slightly different experience, try the Victoria Inn, but may be booked out by now (and a bit more expensive).

Main thing is to book something quickly, though - Durham isn't that big a place and accommodation is going to be pretty busy that weekend with lots of people doing the same as you...
 BnB 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Is this for her first term? Little master B starts at Durham the same weekend. Exciting isn't it?

It is for me, anyway, as I have to turn tail the minute I wave goodbye and drive to Manchester for my climbing partner's stag do. I hope he speaks better of his climbing partner than he does of his ex wife
 rif 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Castle View Guest House fits the bill, and I've had good reports of it
OP BusyLizzie 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

So exciting!! I am reminding Miss Busy to take her climbing kit as there is a uni mountaineering club.
 BnB 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> So exciting!! I am reminding Miss Busy to take her climbing kit as there is a uni mountaineering club.

I have to remind mine to take his books
 alexm198 20 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:
Big up the DUMC! I've just graduated from Durham but was heavily involved with the club there. It's really nice - good mix of people operating at a range of levels. Good luck!

PS. Sorry I can't really help with the accommodation - I'd recommend the Travelodge in town but it may already be full.
Post edited at 21:59
OP BusyLizzie 21 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

I used to take stacks of books to uni; but Little Miss tells me it's all on her Kindle. What is young Master reading? Little Miss is reading Classics.
OP BusyLizzie 21 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all very much for suggestions! Operation Deliver to Durham is still a work in progress but I am getting there...
 wintertree 21 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If you're planning a family meal you'll want to book a table up well in advacne that night. Curry: The Capital, Pan-Asian: Fat Buddah...
 BnB 21 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Chemistry for Master B. He's going to break bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...