UKC

Just cracked my frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
At 30 mph in traffic. Arse. Titanium by Van Nicolas if you must know.

Not only do I need to strip the bike down I have to pay shipping to the fecking Netherlands.
 Enty 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Ohhh I had a mate cracked a Van Nicolas Ti frame....little hole near the BB.

E
 wbo 20 Aug 2014

Uff. How old's the frame, and where did it crack?- it's a bit rich having to pay to send it back.
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo:

4 years old, cracked on the weld between the headtube and downtube. Luckily it held together, if I'd have gone down it wouldn't have been pretty.
 muppetfilter 20 Aug 2014

Could you get it welded locally by a coded welder and have that sanctioned by the manufacturer?
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:
I thought Ti was unmendable? Think I'd rather take a fresh frame...
Post edited at 11:50
 muppetfilter 20 Aug 2014
How do they weld the frames in the first place? All that has to be done is the crack ground out then filled. A good weld wont compromise the frame in any way and to replace it seems like throwing away a whole wheel because of a puncture?
These guys will be able to point you at a fabricator that can help,
http://www.advancedtitaniummetals.com/products.htm
or
http://www.carrswelding.co.uk/cycling.html
Post edited at 12:04
 wbo 20 Aug 2014

But who would pay for such welding - Van Nicolas - they have their own welders? You - 4 years is not long for these things and while I am aware of what lifetime guarantee means you'll struggle to get anyone claimingthat 4 years is a normal lifespan for a ti frame.

No ramp jumping or other errant behaviour?
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo:

Nah, hit a slightly sunken manhole cover not particularly hard at it just went.

Van Nicolas require the frame back for inspection so I don't imagine there is much to be gained by arranging a UK welder given they will be able to make good in their own factory.
 Toby_W 20 Aug 2014

I feel for you, hope they don't give you any bother I've read a few threads on the cycling sites where they've messed people around a bit on cracked frames.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's all sorted smoothly for you.

Cheers

Toby
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

Cheers, fingers crossed, but this looks pretty cut and dryed. We have an CT scanner at work so I'm going to take a X-ray of the weld site as further evidence...
 Toby_W 20 Aug 2014

Normally so long as you're the original owner most companies are pretty good just a bit of bummer to be without a bike for a bit. Here's hoping they just give you something newer and shinier

Cheers

Toby
 Bloodfire 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User: Aaah bummer. Hope you get it sorted. So these Van Nicholas guys... do they have an issue with frame reliability or are these freak events? I am thinking of going titanium way, only because I want a frame-for-a-long-time bike. 4 years is not a long time!
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

It's an excuse to drag the old 1970's steel framed Woodrup tourer out of the garage. It's still going strong!
 Toby_W 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

All frames of all materials crack and fail. I have seen two or three carbon frames develop cracks (specialized) that were swopped with no fuss in no time at all. I have seen one ti frame crack along with three 531 steel frames all on the seat tubes going into the BB.

Oddly never seen an Al frame crack (fingers crossed I have two).

Choose a good company that backs it's stuff and just hope you're not very un-lucky.

I wouldn't let a few cracked frames put me off any one material.

Cheers

Toby
 Toby_W 20 Aug 2014

Have you considered doing that Italian old school race/sportive:

http://en.eroica.it/

You have a suitable bike after all? You'd just need some classic clothing to look the part.

Cheers

Toby
 nniff 20 Aug 2014

A friend of mine had an Enigma Ti frame crack. They had a look at it and decided that that wasn't good and lent him a top spec bike while they fixed it.
 Timmd 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

> All frames of all materials crack and fail. I have seen two or three carbon frames develop cracks (specialized) that were swopped with no fuss in no time at all. I have seen one ti frame crack along with three 531 steel frames all on the seat tubes going into the BB.

> Oddly never seen an Al frame crack (fingers crossed I have two).

My alu Kona mtb frame cracked around the little bit of tubing which the seat clamp goes around. The frame is too small for me, so I was always sitting towards the back of the saddle with it as far back as it'd go.

I still have the bit which came off, keep meaning to contact these people to have it repaired, it's got a lively Kona ride, so if they can make it strong enough to not break again I'd be quite happy.

They can repair titanium too.

http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/

sleavesley 20 Aug 2014

Another vote for Vernon Barker.

Have a look at Baldwin bikes for ti bikes. Made in Yorkshire and built to your own spec,
 Toby_W 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Timmd:

You reminded me my friends MTb also too small broke in the way you describe. Hope it wasn't a very loved bike

Toby
Removed User 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

The bike was passed down to me and I lovingly restored it you cheeky get, I am but a spring chicken...
 Bloodfire 20 Aug 2014

Oh I'm still riding a '98 Zaskar which is alu and still going. It just seems that titanium manufacturers always bang on about the 'timelessness' of titanium and its non-corrosive nature... all great if the frame isn't going to die on you. I guess it's more imperative that the manufacturer is either great in the first place, or seriously backs up their frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...