UKC

I have gone and done it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icnoble 20 Aug 2014

I have jumped ship, not from Nikon to canon but from Nikon to Fuji mirror less. I have bought the X-T1 the the image quality is very good. I know of many photographers both amateur and pro that have done the same. All I have to do is sell my Nikon stuff.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/129481/1/...
Post edited at 16:23
 Tom Last 20 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

Look a lot like a Nikon F3.
 london_huddy 20 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

I made the same move and don't regret it.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=592060

I can recommend MPB photographic for selling kit by the way. You'll probably get a bit more on eBay but it's a lot more hassle.
OP icnoble 20 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

When I told my wife I was selling all the Nikon equipment, which includes the D800 body and the holy trinity of lenses, she was pleased and commented, how much do you think you will get for it all, £500?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

I'll take it all of your hands for £700 .

Let us know how you get on with the new camera once you've used it a bit.
 Toby_W 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

Well I'm sure it's brilliant but it also looks nice.

Cheers

Toby
 Fraser 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

Looks rather nice!

> All I have to do is sell my Nikon stuff.

Go on then, whatcha got?! (it'll be above my pay-grade anyway, but no harm in asking!)

Toerag 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

> When I told my wife she was pleased and commented, how much do you think you will get for it all, £500?

How much did you tell her you spent on it though?!
 Indy 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

Don't know anything about the Fuji or mirrorless camera's what are the benefits?
 eduardo 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:
So have yopu got a 14-24 going? May be interested...
(Thread hijack, maybe site mail me...)
Post edited at 19:25
OP icnoble 21 Aug 2014
In reply to eduardo:

No, got a sigma 12-24 though.
 FactorXXX 21 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:

All I have to do is sell my Nikon stuff.

I assume that you'll let UKC'ers have first dibs and at vastly reduced prices...

Solaris 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

Well, for me, my X-E1 (junior sibling of the X-T1) is just a proper camera! (Past cameras include Rollei B35, Nikon FM2, Ricoh GR1v, Canon G10.) Good image quality, good lenses, feels good in the hand, reasonably compact, gives me the kind of control I want, and makes me want to take photographs.
In reply to icnoble:

I was always a great fan of Fuji cameras when I was shooting medium format film. That in addition to my trusty Hasselblad. And various 5x4 field cameras (last one was a lovely rosewood Wista). The Fujis I had were two amazing 690s (one wide angle) and a superb 645, which I sold recently. Used it a lot (e.g. Joe Brown on Right Unconquerable).
OP icnoble 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

> Don't know anything about the Fuji or mirrorless camera's what are the benefits?

Up until now I have been using a Nikon D800. It has been a great camera to use especially in the studio, but it is a great all round camera. It is a very heavy camera as are the lenses I use for it. The advantage of the Fuji X-T1 is that it is much smaller and lighter, the lens quality is stunning, the build quality of both body and lenses is very high. The surprising thing though is that the images it produces are also of a high quality considering it has a smaller sensor than the D800, and in terms of resolution, 16mp compared to 36mp. I took these this evening at the studio with the 18-55 kit lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68196842@N08/14807547078/in/set-7215764629817...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68196842@N08/14807459839/in/set-7215764629817...
 Robert Durran 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Solaris:

> Well, for me, my X-E1 (junior sibling of the X-T1) is just a proper camera! Good image quality, good lenses, feels good in the hand, reasonably compact, gives me the kind of control I want, and makes me want to take photographs.

Precisely how I feel about my XE-1 (bought on UKC recommendation!). I've just done a big trip with it and it was light and compact enough to have over my shoulder while walking and scrambling so that I never missed a photo opportunity (though I used my compact while actually climbing).

Toerag 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

Benefits - smaller bodies, smaller lenses, better features (the manufacturers have had to innovate to prise people away from Canikon.)
Drawbacks - difficult/expensive to get shallow DoF due to smaller sensors, not cheap, some systems don't have a full range of lenses.
 Solaris 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Toerag:
> Drawbacks - difficult/expensive to get shallow DoF due to smaller sensors.

I've been pretty pleased with the DoF I get with the kit 18-55, possibly partly owing to the unusual sensor technology..? I don't have much to compare it with but I do remember one reviewer favourably comparing it to an M7's.

Anyone else?
Post edited at 16:40
 Solaris 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Glad (but not surprised) to hear you're getting on well with it. I was a bit timid about the routes I took mine on in the alps, but I was really pleased with its handling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...