UKC

Drones banned in all US national parks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hugh Cottam 21 Aug 2014
This could have a big impact on amateur outdoor film makers. Some of the drone footage I've seen for climbing has been great. UK next?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FastAscent/743059265755619
 pebbles 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

usual thing. blanket bans precipitated by a minority of people acting like prats. pity.
 malk 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

kites ok then?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

> This could have a big impact on amateur outdoor film makers. Some of the drone footage I've seen for climbing has been great. UK next?

I can see where they are coming from though - on the odd occasions I have come across them in the Peak, they are an irritatingly noisy distraction,

Chris
OP Hugh Cottam 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Yes, but a blanket ban seems like a bit of an over-reaction.
andyathome 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

It's hardly a 'blanket ban' if they don't include Pakistan in a ban on drones.
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

Its only a blanket ban until they have time to write up a more reasoned/reasonable set of regulations. That's what they're saying at least.
 FactorXXX 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

Yes, but a blanket ban seems like a bit of an over-reaction.

Here's the link to the actual Press Release: -

http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601

Seems like a justifiable action until the use of drones can be properly monitored and controlled.
Jim C 21 Aug 2014
In reply to pebbles:

> usual thing. blanket bans precipitated by a minority of people acting like prats. pity.

And from what I have seen this year cycling , a blanket ban on wild camping on the a West Bank of Loch Lomond is on the cards.( possibly including caravans/ camper vans in lay-bys )

As you say , this is a minority acting like prats, and instead of learning a lesson they just move their anti-social habits elsewhere.
( I do wonder if the ones pushed from the East shore, have also been the ones despoiling Glen Etive)

Other prats on the Loch are jet-skiers ( yet again) who are given miles of the Loch, but want to show off amongst bathers and small boats.

Not ever seen any drones over the Loch though,
( They would get some spectacular views, of jet skiers buzzing bathers and small boats

Mikkel 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

UK next?

Would not surprise me the way some idiots fly them.
Which is why i want to sell mine.

pec 21 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> It's hardly a 'blanket ban' if they don't include Pakistan in a ban on drones. >

Don't worry, Pakistan isn't isn't a US national park, you can still fly your drones there

Parrys_apprentice 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

At least it will be safe to have your wedding reception in US National Parks now
 muppetfilter 21 Aug 2014
In reply to pebbles:

Thank goodness we are more forward in this country, not only do we like Drones but we appear to Love Fracking in our national Parks.
 Tony the Blade 21 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> It's hardly a 'blanket ban' if they don't include Pakistan in a ban on drones.

I was going to post something similar, but yours was more witty. Have yourself a 'like'
 Tom Valentine 22 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Or if the National Park services themselves are allowed to carry on using them...
 DancingOnRock 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

The UK already has proper restrictions on drones that are enforced.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?CATID=1995

OP Hugh Cottam 22 Aug 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:

The US has similar regulations governing small unmanned aircraft, so why ban them in all National Parks? Clearly the Park authorities feel that the Aviation Authority regulations are not sufficient to govern the use within parks so have issued a blanket ban.
 Seocan 22 Aug 2014

I wouldn't go as far as to say enforced, what has there been , maybe 3 prosecutions.
 DancingOnRock 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Seocan:

> I wouldn't go as far as to say enforced, what has there been , maybe 3 prosecutions.

Depends how many people have contravened the regulations and been caught doesn't it?
 duchessofmalfi 22 Aug 2014

With any luck drones will go the same way as CB radio, motorised skateboards, hovercrafts, minimotos and endless other gadgetory shite that falls into the category "less fun than it looks". Then the prospect of being buzzed by irritating toys driven by people for whom looking at a video picture of the view is somehow superiour to actually looking at the view will go away.

The remaining puzzle will be "why are jetskis still here?" to which the answer is must be the jetskiers are too fat to get their kicks from stealing mopeds and driving around tescos anymore so get their kicks from driving around the flat sea pissing off anyone within 10 miles hoping for peace and quiet at the beach.
 Seocan 23 Aug 2014

no it doesn't, does it. Enforcement means to ensure compliance. I know of plenty that don't have a PFAW and are working away unencumbered by any regulation. What kind of enforcement is that.
 mike123 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam: thanks for that link, I guess it's been linked to before on here, but about five posts down is a link to great 10 minute 1938 route video, often the case that these links lead somewhere interesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...