UKC

Road Problems Hotting up for the Bank Holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 21 Aug 2014
Last night I was coming back late from the Lake District and took far longer than expected.I live at the bottom end of Lincolnshire,so normally go along the A66 to Scotch Corner and then straight down the A1.

Last night the A1 was blocked somewhere beyond Ollerton.So we decided to head off the A1 onto the M1 north of Leeds where the split occurs.
As we got closer we were then informed that the M1 was blocked just south of there between junctions 40 and 39.
Then we headed further south on the A1 and came off on the M18 to join the M1 southbound.We then found road works on the M18 and for a great deal of the M1.
Eventually we got to Kegworth and were able to zoom along more normal A roads.
Even where I have not mentioned it there were sections of 50 mph for mile after mile.
Not once in all of this disruption did I see night time working.
There were also signs for other closed off sections of motorway(I seem to remember that the M60 was one of them,for example.)

So beware the return on BH Monday.
andyathome 21 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye:
Thanks for the reminder. I live in Snowdonia and have to go across to Yorks for the weekend. I might not bother heading home 'till Monday evening! The Lakes at Bank holiday weekends?
OP veteye 21 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

No doubt the A55 will be busy,whatever you do!
 Martin W 21 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye: Sounds not that different to my journey from Herefordshirte to North Yorkshire two weeks ago. Miles of 50mph limits on the M5, M42 and M1 with nary a hi-viz jacket to be seen. Topped off by an accident on the M1 northbound near the M18junction which closed all three lanes.

I don't think it's simply a Bank Holiday thing (though the increased BH traffic will no doubt make it worse), it's just useless Highways Agency contractors, and f*ckwits behind the wheel.

Here's a thought: how about drivers convicted of causing accidents by dangerous driving which lead to delays like this get charged lane rental fees (like I believe utilities companies are sometimes charged) for the time it takes to clear up the mess they cause?
OP veteye 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin W:

That would be a good idea if the fees did not come out of their insurance cover and increase all of our fees.Instead it should only be paid by either cash or in community road sweeping.
 Bobling 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> nary a hi-viz jacket to be seen.

That's because they were all on the training course which allows them to master the flowchart dictating exactly how many bods you need standing around drinking tea, checking their phones or sitting in the digger cab with the heater on before any actual work can be done.

Ahhh, that's better.

Skyfall 21 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye:

Shit, try living in Birmingham at the moment ....
 Neil Williams 22 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye:

They very often temporarily stop the works for the bank holiday to open the maximum number of lanes.

Neil
 Max factor 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> Shit, try living in Birmingham at the moment ....

Pah! practically on the doorstep of the mountains! Try being a climber living in S.E. London
OP veteye 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Max factor:

At least you are closer to the Alps, and the roads in France are generally less busy on that route.(Famous last words)
 Timmd 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> Sounds not that different to my journey from Herefordshirte to North Yorkshire two weeks ago. Miles of 50mph limits on the M5, M42 and M1 with nary a hi-viz jacket to be seen. Topped off by an accident on the M1 northbound near the M18junction which closed all three lanes.

I'm wondering if it might be safer to have the limits in place until the work has finished, so that people don't have to be re-reminded to slow down when work is taking place, after being able to drive through quickly when work isn't?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...