UKC

Huntsham (Wye Valley) Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tombeasley 21 Aug 2014
I got stopped today about to walk in to Huntsham by an estate worker. He informed me that climbing has been banned at the crag due to rubbish being left at the crag and concerns by the landowner that he would be liable if an accident happened. He claimed that a fatality had occurred in the last few weeks as a result of climbing (I can't find any reference to this online).

He was very polite and understood that climbers would want access to the crag. He called his boss and I spoke to him on the phone. He reiterated that climbing was not allowed. He was particularly concerned about the amount of rubbish left at the crag (I'm sure this isn't climbers in the main).

I thought that Huntsham was on access land however looking at the map it doesn't seem to be the case. I have the email address of the estate manager (the guy I spoke to on the phone) and am hopeful access can be negotiated. I'll pass the email address to the regional access rep from the BMC.

For the time-being it might be worth avoiding the hunthsam or keeping a very low profile. If asked to leave please be polite (the estate staff I spoke to were both very polite) and leave. Please don't leave any litter and pick up the litter you see there.
 Rick Sewards 21 Aug 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

Hi Tom

Thanks very much for the posting, and for dealing with this so well at the time. Unfortunately as you say Huntsham is not Access Land, and nor is it owned by the Forestry Commission (unlike Symonds Yat), though I think they do have a role in managing it. The landowners have said in the past that they do not wish climbing to take place, though this is the first time I've heard of anyone being asked to leave for a few years.

If you send me the contact details that would be great. I would reiterate the advice in your final paragraph - in particular, please leave (and be polite) if asked to do so, and please leave the place clear of any rubbish - including anything already left there.

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep

OP tombeasley 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks Rick, I've sent through the details to you. Fingers crossed we can resolve the problems to the landowners satisfaction.
 mattrm 22 Aug 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

> I got stopped today about to walk in to Huntsham by an estate worker. He informed me that climbing has been banned at the crag due to rubbish being left at the crag and concerns by the landowner that he would be liable if an accident happened. He claimed that a fatality had occurred in the last few weeks as a result of climbing (I can't find any reference to this online).

A serious accident happened at Shorn Cliff recently (details are on UKC), so it could be possible that he's gotten confused as to where the accident happened.
In reply to mattrm:

> A serious accident happened at Shorn Cliff recently (details are on UKC), so it could be possible that he's gotten confused as to where the accident happened.

I don't think so, they said it had happened at Huntham. There are some flowers which have been placed on the footpath, I wonder if it was a walker (on the public right of way) rather than a climber.......
 AMorris 22 Aug 2014
In reply to tombeasley: That is very disappointing, I wasn't aware there was still an issue with access and hopefully it will be resolved as I agree with you when you say that rubbish left at the crag is unlikely to be climbers. Everyone I have met down there has been very respectful and I have certainly not seen any obvious litter at the main boulders.

I will update the crag details with this information.
In reply to AMorris:

Great thanks, yea drinking cans of beer before climbing doesn't tend to work well
 DaveX 31 Aug 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

Jumping into this one a bit late I know but this may/may not be useful. I suspect anyone dealing with land access issues knows about it anyway but here goes...

As an insurance underwriter who gets involved with land issues a lot I've occasionally given advice to land owners concerned about climbing or similar activities on their land, that there is a common law defense against action being taken called "volenti non fit injuria". Essentially this means "to willing person no harm is done", and is used to mean that anyone taking part in an activity they know to be hazardous, of their own free will, cannot take action against another party (ie land owner) if they suffer injury whilst doing it.

Frustratingly this principle has been less rigidly enforced by the courts over recent years, but for our purposes is a very useful tool if negotiating access as climbers, as we're generally very aware of the risks we undertake. It's a Google-able term to so land owners can even go and check it out for themselves.
OP tombeasley 01 Sep 2014
In reply to DaveX:

Good point Dave, might be useful for Rick when discussing with the landowner, no further update as yet.
Removed User 02 Sep 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

The principle is well explained in BMC literature and was put to the landowner some years ago by Guy Keating (then BMC Access Officer). I think most landowners are aware of it but it can be a handy and sympathy-inducing excuse.

Huntsham access problems have arisen a number of times at intervals over the last twenty years but have usually settled down again quite quickly. Heed the advice given above; see also the access paragraph on page 124 of the 2012 Wye Valley Supplement.
 Legs 18 Sep 2014
What is the status on access to these boulders. Has there been any new developments?

Thanks

Rick Sewards 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Legs:

No new developments I'm afraid - I have been in touch with the landowners, and have made our case concerning liability and also the positive role that climbers could play, for example (if needed) through litter clean-ups as at Wintour's Leap. However, the landowners do not wish climbing to take place, and I don't see that changing in the near future - this has been the case for a number of years.

The advice is therefore as stated above - there is no permission to climb, and anyone who does may be asked to leave, and if asked should do so politely. If anyone does visit, please make a point of leaving the place spotless (including removing any rubbish already there) - this can only help in the long term.

Thanks

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep
 Legs 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks Rick. Appreciate you talking to the land owners and the update.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...