UKC

Can someone explain please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lots of posts on here about the various Canon models, I have a 5D3 myself.

But what is the order for "better-ness"?

Is one with a "7" tag better than a "5", is a "6" better than a "60"?

Oh, and why?

Tom Last 23 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Don't worry 1 or 5 are king.
 Hannes 23 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

the lower the number the better series it comes from. 1 series is aimed at pros, 5 series pros and enthusiasts, 6 series enthusiasts and so on.
In reply to stroppygob:

Thanks both, so a 1 is the boy to desire? Ok, what does it have that my 5D3 does not?
Removed User 24 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

No, those guys have got it wrong. The bigger the number the better, obviously. I've got a 70d which is much better than your 5d, but to do you a favour i'd be prepared to do you a straight swap.

Seriously though, I find it a little strange that you have paid more than £2000 for a camera but you don't understand the differences between it and a £800 camera.
In reply to mountain.martin:

> No, those guys have got it wrong. The bigger the number the better, obviously. I've got a 70d which is much better than your 5d, but to do you a favour i'd be prepared to do you a straight swap.

Thanx!!

> Seriously though, I find it a little strange that you have paid more than £2000 for a camera but you don't understand the differences between it and a £800 camera.

Well it cost more, so it has to be better....

In reply to stroppygob:

> Thanx!!

> Well it cost more, so it has to be better....

Well if you are going purely on cost then Hannes has answered your question

"the lower the number the better series it comes from. 1 series is aimed at pros, 5 series pros and enthusiasts, 6 series enthusiasts and so on"

but there is no point in spending £5000 on a 1Dx when a 6d for £1200 will be just as good for landscape photography, and a 70d for £800 will be better for video in most situations. It would be a waste spending a lot of money on features you don't need.
In reply to mountain.martin:
Good points, and the reason (apart from budget,) I chose the 5D3, it seemed to have the best spec without too many frills and fripparies.

Though I am considering a 1Dx (or the current top model at that time,) for my retirement present to myself. I can get the body (grey import) here for around $5500, or roughly £3000
Post edited at 22:27
 Hannes 24 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

If I could have a 1DX instead of a 6D I would without a doubt. My main camera is a 1 series and the feel of the things is different from all "lesser" cameras. The responsiveness, the viewfinder, the feel etc are all subtly different. The files themselves have a different feel when working them as well, they are much more resilient. A 1Ds III and 5D II both have the same sensor but the images come out very different. Whether a 1 series is worth the price difference is really for the person buying it to decide but even a 5 series feels like a big step backwards when you are used to a 1 series. The specs aren't the full story but even there the 1D will win on basically everything apart from price and a small difference in megapixels.

On a more bank balance friendly note though you are generally better off investing money in lenses than in bodies, especially given how excellent all the current full frame canons are. I would put the money in to getting better lenses like the 24-70 f2.8 II or 70-200 f2.8 IS II if you haven't already.
 eduardo 25 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
The 1DX weighs a hefty 1526g, the 5DIII a mere 956g, quite a penalty if you are moving far from a home / the car etc. Unless you shoot enough shots in tough conditions often enough to justify the better build quality and weatherproofing (or other specific advantages, most obviously high frames per second), I'd say the 5DIII is probably the most appropriate camera for most users. In many respects the specs are quite similar anyway, it's not as though you'd notice any difference in the photos you take, sports / action excepted.
Post edited at 12:15
 Stone Idle 25 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I use a 5 for landscape work and the 7 for telephoto - seems to work. Would not want a 1 as it does not work as well for the photos I prefer to take.
 Durbs 26 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Not sure if this is genuine post or not...?

You bought a 5Dmk3 and don't know the difference between a 5d and 1100D?!
In reply to Durbs:
I was thinking more in terms of the closer spec models than that.
Post edited at 22:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...