UKC

bottom bracket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrdigitaljedi 23 Aug 2014
Well thats my day knackered, after taking my new rocklobster team tig sl, to a reputable local cycle shop to be faced and cleaned, i finally get the time to put all my parts on................

Only to find that the W@£$%&£RS had cross-treaded the bottom bracket, this was after stripping the thead on an XT bottom bracket.

Any-1 else got any horrors with this and what was there solution????
 The Potato 23 Aug 2014
In reply to mrdigitaljedi:

yes take it back and tell them to sort it out, they havent got a choice

They've ufcked it up - their problem.
 gethin_allen 23 Aug 2014

seriously, that's real schoolboy error territory. There is a product called a helicoil where you drill out the old thread and re thread a slightly larger thread which accepts the helicoil which then accepts the original part. The thing is, these are made for normal sizes and pitches of thread so unless someone has made a version specifically for bike BBs it's highly unlikely you'll find the correct size, and that's without even considering the difficulties of re-tapping a thread on such a large diameter item, and before considering that it's made of Ti, which is apparently difficult to cut.

You really need to hammer the bike shop for the insurance replacement as as far as I would consider, they've written the frame off.
 Mountain Llama 24 Aug 2014
In reply to mrdigitaljedi: sorry to hear about your BB issue. This is an inexcusable mistake to make IMHO. You need to take it back ASAP.

In my youth many moons ago I managed to not notice that the fixed cup on my BB had come loose resulting in the threads being stripped etc. After deliberation with my dad and big brother we simply glued the fixed cup into the frame with epoxy resin.

I continued to ride the 5 speed racer well into my 20s with no issue before finally giving it to a neighbour.

Hope you manage to get things sorted, Davey

Timmd 24 Aug 2014

Argos Cycles the frame builders will put a new bottom bracket sleeve in for you, I'd take it back to the cycle shop and ask them to foot the bill.

That's if you're talking about the bottom bracket shell of the frame, that is.
 Timmd 24 Aug 2014

Here you go. It'd cost £80.

http://www.argoscycles.com/www/renovation-pricelist.htm

itsThere 24 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen: and any parts that won't fit a new frame need to be replaced.
OP mrdigitaljedi 24 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

its going back tuesday for them to sort out, thanks for all your advice.

Chris.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...