UKC

3 peaks challenge for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skol 23 Aug 2014
My daughter is keen to raise money for a local animal charity.
She wants to do something 'outdoorsy'.
She is nearly 12 and likes hillwalking.
I've suggested she does the National 3 peaks, solo, with me as the driver.
Has anyone let their child do similar ?
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

Nope. But i'm sure can be the 1st. Excellent idea.
 malk 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

no -can't you think of a different challenge?
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to malk:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> no -can't you think of a different challenge?

But this will test her confidence, fitness and determination and hopefully give her some lifeskills. I will be there at the bottom and she has a mobile phone incase things go awry.
Coupled with that, she will raise money for animals!!!
 Phil1919 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

The hills will be fine. I just don't envy her the driving.
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> The hills will be fine. I just don't envy her the driving.

Yeah. I've no real worries about her and the hills. She can drive a bit but won't let her on the main roads yet.
In reply to Skol:

I think she will probably end up hating you and won't step foot on the mountains again if you do the 3PC. Do something original.
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> I think she will probably end up hating you and won't step foot on the mountains again if you do the 3PC. Do something original.

You've got to understand kids mate. She is aware of the 3 peaks challenge and thinks its a good idea. She's been up Moel Famau three times today whilst I sat in the car waiting for her. If she decides to bin it after Snowdon, then what's to lose? I get to sit in the car and chill out, she raises money. If we make it as far as the Lakes then we can be on holiday by mistake?
 Offwidth 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

The 24hr 3 peaks challenge has rightfully had so much bad press in mountaineering and charity circles one has got to be living in a bubble not to have noticed. Very bad idea unless you do it over two days and avoid all the hassle to locals at night.
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> The 24hr 3 peaks challenge has rightfully had so much bad press in mountaineering and charity circles one has got to be living in a bubble not to have noticed. Very bad idea unless you do it over two days and avoid all the hassle to locals at night.

I don't buy in to this 'local' stuff. They are tenants on National Trust land and I am a member! I'm more interested in the ethics of allowing an 11 year old girl to walk the hills alone?
In reply to Skol:

Right, I'm calling Troll. get back under your bridge.
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Aug 2014
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> Right, I'm calling Troll. get back under your bridge.

It was pretty obvious from the start wasn't it.
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
Only to people who take themselves too seriously?
She's good on the hill, why shouldn't I let her?
In reply to Skol:

It's not about her being good at being on the hills. maybe you should let her read the articles and blogs about this very 'challenge' so she can educate herself against doing it as it appears parental guidance on this matter is somewhat lacking.
 wbo 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol: do you have links to these ?

My 11 year old could not do this, my friends 12 year old would find it a easy and dull- big variation in abilities at this age. But hoping Shell develop some lifeskills - like what?

OP Skol 23 Aug 2014

> (In reply to Skol)
>
> It's not about her being good at being on the hills. maybe you should let her read the articles and blogs about this very 'challenge' so she can educate herself against doing it as it appears parental guidance on this matter is somewhat lacking.

Mmmm. As opposed to what? She would be adding to local economies by purchasing food etc. If we are talking about vehicle emissions etc , then I reason that getting her to play for 24 hrs on an Xbox would be more damaging to the environment than me driving her to Scotland and back?( she doesn't have an Xbox, due to aviation emissions)
I'm proud of her for wanting to do it!
Post edited at 21:15
 Blue Straggler 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

> She can drive a bit but won't let her on the main roads yet.

Oh go on, let her, what harm can come from it? She's nearly 12!

In reply to Skol:

> Mmmm. As opposed to what? She would be adding to local economies by purchasing food etc.
Will she be buying locally-sourced food from local independent shops?

> If we are talking about vehicle emitions etc , then I reason that getting her to play for 24 hrs on an Xbox would be more damaging to the environment than me driving her to Scotland and back?

I very much doubt it

> I'm proud of her for wanting to do it!

As you should be. But maybe make US proud by explaining to her why it's not such a great thing.

Look at the Yorkshire Three Peaks, a more acceptable challenge. Or as others have said, get out from under that bridge

ewar woowar 23 Aug 2014

> Right, I'm calling Troll. get back under your bridge.

Not a very good troll, as Skol has replied to the thread several times.
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> [...]
>
> Oh go on, let her, what harm can come from it? She's nearly 12!

How is helping her to achieve this causing harm?
In the grand scheme of things, Tibetan children walk to school over bigger peaks with a Yak for a backup !
In reply to Skol:

I was referring to the driving. Read peoples' posts properly if you want to be taken seriously. Which I don't think is your real aim.

Have a lol
OP Skol 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Sorry , I didn't scroll up
On asda car park she can do a handbrake turn!
 Dr.S at work 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

The one in connahs quay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...