ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Guidebooks for Eastern Grit

I've just moved to Sheffield and am thinking of spending some birthday money on newer guides to the local areas. I have elderly versions of On Peak Rock (mid-90s), the Stanage Topo (early 90s) and Ashton's 100 Classic Climbs in this region, but have already noticed on two short visits to Curbar that there are lots of routes that I can do that aren't in those books and as I will be here for at least a year and probably longer I want comprehensive or near comprehensive guides.

So my main question is Rockfax Grit East comprehensive enough or do I need/want to spend nearly four times the amount getting the three Froggat, Burbage and Stanage guides...? I would value the findings of other local regulars.

I'm not climbing hard routes so won't miss the newest desperates, but I'm not averse to some bouldering and am an "inveterate ticker" so, for example, at Curbar last week using my friends guide enjoyed soloing a couple of little cracks down the right end that weren't in my guides - the sort of thing you don't know about with a highly selective guide.
... not showing 64 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums