UKC

Tafroute without a car?!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
biabarida 24 Aug 2014

Hey there fellow crushers.

I'm a bloody Yankee looking to get a couple months of winter trad climbing in like late December to March.

I'm currently carless though,and am wondering if Tafroute would be a location that I could crush at....

I have extensive history hitching across America, Europe, Latin America, and some small parts of Morocco. I spent a few weeks in Todra Gorge in 2010, so am looking to go somewhere new....

I am also open to tons of suggestions. What is a great place to trad climb in the winter in Europe, North Africa, or the Near/Middle East without a car????

edit: I'm wondering if it's possible to do it by bus or hitching....

Climb on!
Sam
Post edited at 23:31
 GridNorth 25 Aug 2014
In reply to biabarida:

Don't take my word as gospel but I don't believe that Morocco is a good area without transport or partners. I understand that there is bouldering around Tafroute but the longer climbs are a bit of a distance away. I've based myself in both Tafroute and the Kasbah Tizourgane in the North and IMO the latter is much nearer to the main climbing areas and in fact a few crags are within walking distance of the Kasbah. It is also entirely possible that you may not see any other climbers at all although as the area gets more popular this will become less of an issue. The climbing is superb but bear in mind that there is no rescue, it's adventure climbing at it's best.

When we based ourselves in Tafroute I felt as though I spent a disproportionate amount of time driving rather than climbing. All the crags felt a long distance away but that of course may be because I wsn't aware of all the crags. In contrast the crags in the North seemed much more accessible.
 HeMa 25 Aug 2014
In reply to biabarida:

Me thinks Wadi Rum might be better suited for ya, with out a car that is.

Here's some info...
http://www.patagonia.fi/blog/2012/12/wadi-rum-part-5-logistics-and-tips/
http://www.borrbult.nu/2014/07/wadi-rum-jordanien.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...