UKC

climbing wall for 3 year old.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Monster-mrt 25 Aug 2014
Im looking for a climbing wall near Huddersfield that has some decent facilities for kids.
My son is three, and can top rope but....
our local wall has a kids wall 8 foot high with plenty of decent size holds closely spaced, but its not high enough any more. Or the usual adult lead/ top roping walls, but he cant reach the holds....!
We dont mind travelling a bit to get there.
any ideas would be awsome, Thanks.
 Nige M 25 Aug 2014
In reply to Monster-mrt:

Both Harrogate and Leeds walls have what you might describe as proper walls with top ropes that are aimed at small kids (i.e. steep slabs with many juggy holds that are closely spaced). They have plenty of routes that are nominally graded 2+ to about 4+ that small kids have a good chance of getting up. In particular, the wall at Harrogate is especially friendly (i.e. non intimidating): the smallest sections are about 25 feet high and there are 7 lines with 3 coloured routes per line, plus you can just use anything to make it really easy.

You should call them beforehand to make sure that they are OK with 3-year olds; I certainly see many kids there who cannot be much more than 3.
 sbc23 25 Aug 2014
In reply to Monster-mrt:

Kendall is one of the most welcoming for kids that I've visited. They have several walls that are suitable and supervising adults don't pay (or at least not much)

Steve
OP Monster-mrt 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Monster-mrt:

Thanks guys,
leeds wall were very helpfull. We'll be heading over soon.
 winhill 01 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc23:

> Kendall is one of the most welcoming for kids that I've visited. They have several walls that are suitable and supervising adults don't pay (or at least not much)

> Steve

Funny, I found it the worst. The kids bouldering area lasted 20 minutes (flashed the 2 hardest circuits) for mine aged 9 and he still had three years to go before he was allowed in the upper bouldering zone. Apparently the clientele didn't want kids in the other sections. I was starting to question the wisdom of me £7.50.

To the OP, bouldering isn't ever going to be up to much for such little kids because they need similar climbs on the same line, so they can rainbow and it's pretty rare you'd find a nice selection of jugginess for them to get up.

A bit distant but the best I've seen is Nottingham climbing centre, a good little traversing boulder area you can use for a lot of training games and a roped training area where the grades don't change much between 4a-5a so it's really easy for little kids to rainbow. If you want to teach some skills rather than just bimbling it's excellent.

I hate to say it but Clip n Climb (from 4 years up) was incredibly popular with my kids, seasoned wall climbers with 5-6 years experience.

sbc23 01 Sep 2014
In reply to winhill:

I went to Kendall on a weekday morning and my kids were 6 & 4 relative newbies. It's annoying if they won't let them loose on the walls.

benghull 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Monster-mrt:

CityBloc in leeds has a good selection and Rokt at Brighouse is another one the kids enjoy going to. (3 aged 5/7 and 10)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...