UKC

Lake District crag with wild swimming potential

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rubisco 26 Aug 2014
Hello,

Could anyone please recommend me a river- or lake-side crag that has single pitch routes in the lower grades and wild swimming opportunities?

Thanks!
 cander 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Pavey Ark
 GPN 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:
Armathwaite is the best place that I can think of - there must be others though...

G.
 Conan 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Pavey Ark and Dow Crag are my favourites for having a quick dip after a nice hot days climbing
OP rubisco 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Good suggestions, thanks!

I think Pavey Ark and Tarn Crag might do the trick for us.
 shantaram 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Sergeant Crag Slabs with Black Moss Pot as a swimming option. Shepherds Crag with swimming either in the river Derwent at the Chinese bridge or in Derwentwater. Pavey and Dow also fit the bill.
 Shapeshifter 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Not single pitch, but if you're wild swimming inclined some of the swimming holes in the River Esk below Heron Crag and Esk Buttress are great fun.
 Greenbanks 26 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:
Pavey is a good choice. There's a neat article on the crag - with some excellent Dave Simmonite photos - in the current issue of Climber

Might also suggest crags down in the Duddon Valley

Rory Shaw 27 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

What is wild swimming?
 Robert Durran 27 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Does the climbing need to be wild too?
 nclarey 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

You've seen the way in Jaws people thrash about in the water to avoid getting eaten by the shark? That's wild swimming.
 Bulls Crack 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

> What is wild swimming?

It's a new sport - no-one did it before
 Robert Durran 27 Aug 2014
In reply to nclarey:

> You've seen the way in Jaws people thrash about in the water to avoid getting eaten by the shark? That's wild swimming.

And wild camping is obviously only an option in areas with large dangerous predators such as polar bears which might rip into your tent in the night (wild swimming would obviously also be a possibility in such areas).
OP rubisco 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:

> What is wild swimming?

Swimming in "wild" waters, such as lakes, tarns and rivers, as opposed to man-made ones, such as swimming pools and lidos.
OP rubisco 27 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Thanks for all your replies!
 BnB 27 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

> Swimming in "wild" waters, such as lakes, tarns and rivers, as opposed to man-made ones, such as swimming pools and lidos.

What used to be called "taking a dip" in my youth. Everyhting has to sound dangerous nowadays...
 Tradical 28 Aug 2014
In reply to rubisco:

Another vote for Dow and Goat's water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...