UKC

de restricting and loss of power

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ashaw 26 Aug 2014
Hi I bought a Suberbyke, powerband r50 for my son off ebay yesterday, the bike is nice and tidy, however when you open up the throttle the power fades and then the engine dies, I am guessing its a carb problem ( I have no idea about 2 strokes)
What would you suggest?

On another note I was thinking about getting it de restricted is this easy on this model ( I didn't even know Superbykes existed let alone Chinese manufacturers till yesterday) I have a good old fashioned cbr600. understand 4 strokes
cheers
 Mr Lopez 26 Aug 2014
In reply to ashaw:

Shut the choke after starting it up, or if it's automatic check it's set up and adjusted right.
ashaw 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez: thanks I will have a look at that, its an auto choke
 Mr Lopez 26 Aug 2014
In reply to ashaw:

Cool. If it's auto then the type of choke will be model dependant, so other than adjusting the screw/line you'd need to search around for the particulars if that didn't solve it.

A quick search found this which may be useful http://chinesescoots.forumwise.com/chinesescoots-thread3144.html
 markK6 26 Aug 2014
In reply to ashaw:

Sounds like fuel starvation to me, will it tick over ok and when you twist the throttle it dies?

Was it standing for a while prior to you buying it? of so then the fuel may have gummed up in the carb in which case you will need to strip it and make sure all jets are cleaned with an airline, while you are at it make sure the fuel tap or vacuum diaphragm isnt blocked. Also check the float height is correct.
M0nkey 27 Aug 2014
In reply to ashaw:

another vote for strip and clean the carb. I had a similar problem on my trials bike which turned out to be caused by a grain of sand in the carb. You will need:

1. Air compressor
2. Carb cleaner
3. Patience
4. A selection of smallish screwdrivers to remove the jets.
ashaw 27 Aug 2014
In reply to M0nkey: thanks guys sorted it, one of the jets were blocked
cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...