UKC

Canon speed lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HarmM 26 Aug 2014

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting either a 480 ex ii or a 580 ex ii for use with my 7D and I was wondering what would be more suitable, I know the main differences are that the 580 is more powerful and can act as a master when using multi flash groups but it's also more £££.

I'd mainly be using it for fill flash when out taking pictures at the crag where I have the problem of trying to expose for the cloud and the dark cave or rock someone is climbing on

Any guidence will be much appreciated,

Max
 Durbs 26 Aug 2014
In reply to HarmM:

Well if you're only using 1 flash, the fact the 580 can be a master is redundant. You can control the 430 off-camera with the 7D's flash too (though this can struggle on bright days outdoors).

I started with a 430 EXII, then added a second with the Youngnou 622-C's to control them which is amazing. Plus it also means when you do want to go off-camera, you're controller doesn't have to be on camera.

If you want the extra power, I'd personally look at non-Canon flashes as they're considerably cheaper for the same GN.

rallymania 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Durbs:

+1

i own the 430exii

if i was spending the money again i'd buy a couple of YN's a wireless trigger kit (1 transmitter and a couple of receivers and a couple of light stands / modifiers for about the same money

do i regret buying it? not for a second, it's just i've learnt now that other items are important too, not just the flash
 robal 26 Aug 2014
In reply to HarmM:

there isn't much between the 530 and the 480, I use both and dont favour one over another. I have been told by another photographer that they emit the same power but the 530 is more controllable however I am yet to verify this myself. that combined with the few additional features which are not usable if you are only buying 1 of them.

if you are buying only one then the 480 is the way forward and if in the future you come to buy another then spring for the 530...

I would be tempted to look at some remotes though, I have pocket wizards which are simply fantastic.

thanks
Rob
 Hannes 27 Aug 2014
In reply to HarmM:

I wouldn't buy either of those speedlights to be honest. There are several competent third party alternatives that are either cheaper or have other perks. Yongnuo YN 568 is one (cheap, powerful), Godox ving 860 (cheap, powerful and have li-ion batteries), Nissin Di866 mk II (all round good flash but a bit more expensive) and finally Canon 600 EX (basically the best speedlight you can buy at the moment for canon).

If I was buying one today I'd get the Godox off ebay or better yet two of them for the price of one 430ex. Bear in mind direct flash is not flattering in the slightest and you may find a hankering for some wireless triggers fairly soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...