UKC

Tele binding/AT boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 27 Aug 2014
Does anyone know of a tele style binding that will fit (or can be relatively easily modified to fit) a DIN standard AT boot like the Maestrale?

Alternatively, are there any cheap ish tele boots that take crampons well enough to climb around Scottish IV/V?

Thanks.
 AdrianC 27 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich: I've climbed around Scottish V with someone who was wearing tele boots. From memory I think she got around the flex by using rigid crampons - Rambo 4s might work for you? I suspect that'll be easier than trying to get Maestrales to work with a tele binding.

HeMa 27 Aug 2014
In reply to rogersavery:

Well...

Not really what the OP is after. Since he was askin' for a telebinder that accepts AT boots.

There really ain't any.

But with NTN (and the NTN boots with dynafit inserts), you have boots that fit both NTN binders + AT binders.

If you have small'ish feet, the 3 buckly NTN boots (especially the dynafit insert ones, like T-X and Shiver (Rando)) will work with Tech AT binders (with a shim) and in same cases with Diamir-type binders (riggin' a shim might be needed). The same boots can then be used with normal ice crampons (just as well as other AT boots). And I've climbed on my NTNs up to WI4...
 Tiernan 27 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Don't know why you'd want to use a AT boot in a Tele biner, but there is a new TTS (Telemark Tech System) recently out;

http://www.wasatchski.com/tts.htm

It'd be a horrible ski without a boot without bellows in Tele biners, like HeMa said, the NTN system seems best for you, just adapt your NTN boot to fit alpine biners (shims under the forefoot) if you need, not the other way around.
OP NottsRich 29 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, some useful ideas there.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to a ballpark second hand price for some patterned base tele skis with semi decent bindings? About 165-175cm ideally, and 75-100mm underfoot.

Thanks.
 HeMa 29 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Me thinks such skis are not that widely available...

In fact, I only know a few models that fit your criteria, and considering they are hard to find even from shops, finding a pair second hand would be difficult.

How ever, Telemark-Pyrenees is selling Voile Charger BC in 171 length for a bit under 300€. A tad wider (112mm) and most likely stiffer than what you're after though.
 Doug 29 Aug 2014
In reply to HeMa:

I've been on the look out for something similar for my partner who doesn't ski much & is reluctant to buy at full price - I've seen nothing in maybe 18 months.
OP NottsRich 30 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Thanks for the info. I'm in Australia at the moment and patterned touring/tele skis are very popular. They seem very suited to Scottish terrain (as apposed to big alpine cols). Plenty for sale over here but didn't want to have to ship any back to the UK! I might look into it a bit more while I'm over here then.
 TobyA 30 Aug 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

> Thanks for the info. I'm in Australia at the moment and patterned touring/tele skis are very popular.

Have you tried them? I think there are lots of metal edge touring skis available from Madhaus and the like with fishscale bases, but they are very skinny and I'm told difficult to really tele turn. They are more about going along than going down.
 ben b 02 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:

There's these fellas that Dosite has just reviewed:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/14209/first-look-voiles-charger-bc-ski/

b
OP NottsRich 02 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I'm working as an xc ski instructor in Aus and the patterned base classic skis gave me the idea for rolling terrain like the Cairngorms. Then touring around here last week I came across quite a few people on decent tele gear with waxless/patterned bases. Haven't had a good go on a setup like that though.

http://www.ozbc.net/nsw_sentinel.htm
TeleN 07 Oct 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

If your still after a robust tele boot I have both garmont Squadras and garmont Voodoos for sale in VVGC for £90. both are at the top of the tree when it comes to powering skis and therefor are good still boots for climbing in. Obviously it is always going to be different from an outright climbing boot though!

Size 26.5 mondo if you are interested.
Haggis Trap 08 Oct 2014
In reply to HeMa:

> Since he was askin' for a telebinder that accepts AT boots.

This is close... Tele-binder with dynafit style toe that also allows you to lock heel and alpine ski. You need tele boots (AT boots obviously dont have bellows so will never work for tele).

http://www.moonlightskis.com/moonlightskis-2-products-7
 Cuthbert 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Haggis Trap:

Interesting concept that. I haven't studied it in detail but I am right in thinking it needs a tele NTN boot?
 HeMa 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

Indeed... as only some NTN boots have them dynafiddle inserts on 'em.

There's a few different versions of that kind of binders available...

But none of them accept AT-boots... which is my point. Sure NTN teleboots work, but they are not AT boots (rather teleboots that can work with certain AT bindings).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...