UKC

Xc tyre combo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnboybuchan 28 Aug 2014
Hi, Looking for suggestions for tyre combo suggestions for;

A) fast rolling for dry, hard packed single track
B) grippy,for mud rocks and roots

Bike is a 26" wheeled Cannondale hardtail, with a 70kg/11stone rider

Much appreciated JB
 TimB 28 Aug 2014
In reply to johnboybuchan:

A) depends how dry is dry... if it's dusty and rocky then I've found Specialized and Maxxis tyres to be really good, and Michelin and Schwalbe to get cut up more easily.

Larsen TT/Crossmark/Fast Trak Control on the back and Ground Control/Captain Control/Ignitor on the front seem to be good combinations.

B) Mud? Can't help with that, sorry.
 Oujmik 28 Aug 2014

After a generous donation of some spare tyres from a UKCer, I am now using Conti X-Kings for scenario A. I've got a 2.2 on the back and a 2.4 on the front. I'm just using the cheapest ones, but I am assured the black chill version is the dogs balls.

I've found that they feel much better than my old Conti Verticals as they don't ride up onto the side knobbles when you are cornering so the ride is smoother and more predictable. They also feel faster rolling and better damping over rough ground.
 balmybaldwin 28 Aug 2014

For Mud have a look at the continental Mud King in the black chilli compound (for rear) combine with a trail king or mountain king up front (again black chilli)
johnboybuchan 28 Aug 2014
In reply to TimB:

No rocks at all, faily flat fast single track in Suffolk/Essex.I've been using SpecializedCaptains for the last couple of years but wonder if there are tyres out there that would roll faster? (Basicalliy I'm spending a bit of cash on the bike and need to self-justify new tyres)
 TimB 28 Aug 2014

Racing Ralph? Seems to be popular with SE England XC racers.
 MaranaF 28 Aug 2014

I always did and still do love Panaracer Fire XC Pro, foldable tyres for general MTBing. They are usually about £50 a pair and can be found on ebay.
 Brass Nipples 28 Aug 2014

Panaracwr mud rakers for mud and gloop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...