UKC

Captain Rooney

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

almost noone else, Hart possibly..

Left back is up for grabs, right back Johnson? no chance..

Center halfs.. again up for grabs..

Center mid.. Gerrard and Lampard gone.. all up for grabs..

There's almost noone you think will be in the team who has experience.. which is a good thing as we have a really young squad, but we do lack experience.

In reply to Greenbanks:

The best of a bad bunch really. Only other real contender in my eyes is Hart but then he may not be a regular at City. Cahill? Nah not captain material for me.
OP Greenbanks 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Agree with these comments. Whilst the 'old guard' dis us (generally) proud, I think them stepping down will provide the impetus to look more widely and differently for talent. There's a nucleus, fair enough. The team needs bringing on together as part of a squad: whether that'll happen in the continuing climate of "I want it now", pushed by the Media and false expectations is a different matter.
 winhill 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

When it was mooted, when Gerrard announced his retirement, I think everyone agreed there's no-one else but he's not a great choice. Forwards don't make good captains, they're facing the wrong way and you'd hope they're a bit more focused on their own job - Aguero scoring after 23 seconds, that type of focus.

Rooney showed he hasn't got the temperament against Italy, that video of Hart going mental didn't help his cause, Cahill possibly or Henderson, that's about it. Michael Dawson would've been the obvious choice and was supposed destined for it years ago but he's never reached his potential.

Part of the problem is not sharing the load out earlier and getting something approaching transition.
In reply to winhill:

Is that the Cahill who, as a central defender, was himself 'facing the wrong way' at vital moments in the WC?

Rooney, though not exceptional, did not have as bad a WC as many others
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Does it really matter ? the role of captain on the field is not great is it ? all they have to do is stand in front of the camera after each match and recite platitudes
In reply to GrahamD:

Especially if the Captain spends a lot of time under bridges...

Lots of evidence of inspirational 'leadership' on the field, track, course etc
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Inspirational leadership is different from captaincy - which implies some need for decision making, authority and delegation
In reply to GrahamD:

Not sure I'd agree with that (or maybe I didn't make myself very clear). I regard 'captain' as being synonymous with all of those leadership qualitities we like to talk about when we reflect on certain historical sporting figures. I'd agree that Rooney has got a lot to prove, but as others have said, there's not a lot of captaincy-material around.
 Steve nevers 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Give it to Phil Jones.
Ste Brom 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Goes to show, scousers are natural born leaders.
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

I guess we can agree to differ. I don't see a football side operating differently no matter who is nominally wearing an arm band
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Cahill's not a certain starter..

Jones future captain possibly but certainly not a certain starter.. also injured too much…

Jagielka and cahill should have made claims for regular spots but were both poor..

The captain is important, but natural leaders lead.. keano was a leader armband or not.. in the past we've had lots of natural leaders now we have very few..
 winhill 28 Aug 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Inspirational leadership is different from captaincy - which implies some need for decision making, authority and delegation

Your typical midfield general is expected to offer all that and more, but surely captains in other positions can delegate that bit?

Part of the problem for some people is that they never get the chance to develop as a captain, Cahill and Henderson probably demonstrate that but also those leadership qualities are often picked up from an early start. Mike Atherton was the youngest England captain and AFAIK captained more tests than any other captain and was tipped for the top from an early age.

Newcastle's new signing Jammal Lascelles is 20 and in a similar position, tipped for greatness due to skill and leadership qualities. Bit like Dawson though, it's a question of whether he does well enough. Others have probably missed the opportunity if not successful and nurtured enough early on. Although a late worked for Beckham, in more ways than one.
andymac 28 Aug 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> Does it really matter ? the role of captain on the field is not great is it ? all they have to do is stand in front of the camera after each match and recite platitudes

Would rather listen to Rooney than Gerrard.

Stevie G became unbearable in the final few months ; what with his greeting and whining and rather obvious ego.

I would imagine Rooney will not take prisoners in the dressing room and is ,therefore,probably the best choice for captain .

Anyway ,what do I care . I am meant to be an ardent , blinkered fan of the Federal Republic of Scotland.
Post edited at 23:41
 Banned User 77 29 Aug 2014
In reply to winhill:

Cahill has shown no leadership qualities.. The centre of defence was atrocious in the World Cup..

He's late 20's..

winhill 29 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Cahill has shown no leadership qualities.. The centre of defence was atrocious in the World Cup..

> He's late 20's..

Mourinho differs and explains why he hasn't got captain experience

http://au.eurosport.com/football/euro-2016/2016/mourinho-cahill-would-make-...
In reply to winhill:
So he's no experience as a captain.. and unlikely to get any…

Rooney was the only option..

almost 100 caps.. next in line.. Hart? Milner? 40 odd caps..

LVG has opted for him over RVP and he knows his football.

Cahill, almost 29, only 27 england caps… not much CL experience.. not much major finals experience..

Rooney was the only option.. Regarding your 'forwards can't captain'.. Cantona, Lineker, Maradona, Charlton.. plenty have..

"Forwards don't make good captains, they're facing the wrong way"… Forwards spend most of their game watching the actual game.. they face their own keeper for much of the game..
Post edited at 03:21
 Simon 29 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

The captains role on a footy pitch is to set an example of hard work, determination and inspiration. To put to bed minor problems quickly and identify large ones to feedback to the gaffer.

You don't need to be shouting at people all the time, but you do need to be visible and in the thick of things, willing to run yourself into the ground & defend for your life when need be.

You also should have a like-ability (not liability) factor about you and be able to be a bridge between the gaffer and his players on and off the field and in or out of the squad.

It's a very demanding role, don't let anyone tell you all they do is toss up (or off) and do a bit of media. Having done it for periods when playing as right back, I was glad to hand the arm band back after a while as it was pretty consuming.

Does Rooney have all of the above? Maybe it will be the making of him, give the lad a chance at least I say.

Si
In reply to Simon:

> You also should have a like-ability (not liability) factor about you and be able to be a bridge between the gaffer and his players on and off the field and in or out of the squad.

Keane was pretty much disliked at United.. but hugely respected..

I think Rooney has most of the above, he lifts the crowd like no other player in the squad right now, the players respond to him, if he plays well we win.. he's that dominant.. I'm not sure how it will work out but I think he's earned the chance.

Steve nevers 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

TBF, thinking about Rooney could do an alright job, just depends where on the pitch hes playing.

Drop him back into forward-centre midfield with the option to come forward and he'll be a bigger influence anyway. Englands going to have to start doing that soon anyway due to lack of talent, so A Rooney/Ox partnership setting things up would be a good start. In that role Rooney would be better placed for the captaincy.
 Banned User 77 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Steve nevers:

I always thought he'd end up deeper but he seems to want to play as a 9/10..

I think England are set up well to play 3-5-2, under Hoddle we were good with that system..

With Stones, Jones, Blackett looks a good player.. and currently jags and cahill we have good options at centre half.. then shaw hopefully as a wing back..

I think Wilshere is great but his development has deffo gone awry which is strange for a player under wengers tutelage.. But with Sterling, Ox, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, plus others I think we have options. I'd like to see Townsend come back in the fray, he was the guy who got us to the world cup.
OP Greenbanks 01 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

It'll be interesting to see the impact of the National Centre over the next 3-5 years of course....
 Simon 02 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
One thing that IS interesting I suppose, is that we don't have a shoo in candidate in the back 4. Jags has blown it for me and the rest are too inexperienced, tho Cahill might be a future prospect.

At this stage of England's work in progress, I don't think it's the monkey we need to be worried about however, as the organ grinder has some funny ideas what constitutes a successful set of results...
Post edited at 03:39
 Banned User 77 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon:

I'm really rating Blackett, he just looks so comfortable at this level.. Stones too..

TBH I'm not certain about Jones.. his injuries are an issue as well.. very promising but it's a wait and see.. and Smalling is a decent option, fast, strong, honest, but I don't think he's top class.. but a solid squad man.

The right back is an issue now.. Johnson is getting on and is a liability..

Shaw is interesting, a fair few have come out questioning his fitness.. So maybe he isn't the total answer for the next left back, again the next 12 months are key..

But apart from Hart, Rooney, Sturridge, I don't think anyone is a certain starter..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...