UKC

Yorkshire 3 Peaks. Run/Walk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DancingOnRock 28 Aug 2014
What's the terrain and route finding like up on Ingleborough? A couple of years ago I did Pen-y-gent and Wernside but ran out of time for Ingleborough and came back along the road. It was very basic map reading at most.

Going up tomorrow, just wondering what to expect.
 The New NickB 28 Aug 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:
From the Hill Inn it is generally rising across fields, good underfoot, then you are on flags all the way to the steep climb on to the plateau. The descent is rocky, trippy and generally pretty soul destroying, although probably less so if you haven't does Penygent and Wernside first. Route finding is pretty simple, assuming you have looked at the map and know the general direction you should be heading in.
Post edited at 17:56
OP DancingOnRock 28 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Whoops. Thanks Nick. That all sounded too familiar. Would help if I checked the map first.

It's Pen-y-Gent I've not done. From Horton anticlockwise. I'm thinking of going in road shoes but depends on Pen-y-Gent terrain.
 Dauphin 28 Aug 2014

Piece of piss. Went over the other weekend. Path down to Horton is as described and I don't feel the need to ever return. Better to look at that walk up, over or on.

D
 Dauphin 28 Aug 2014

Road shoes are perfectly adequate, unless Hokas.

D
 Al Doig 28 Aug 2014
I reckon that road shoes would be ok. I did it a few weeks ago in them and it was fine. Most of the route is now like a motorway with nice signposting so a map isn't really that necessary
unless it was poor visibility.
Removed User 28 Aug 2014
Beware of Sulber Nick if it's wet. Worn limestone pavement is notoriously slippy.
 butteredfrog 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Good firm path across the moor, up on the right "bank" of the nick.

I'm more concerned with what Pen-Y-Ghent will be like.

Forecast is light rain.
botheclimber 28 Aug 2014

I remember the path back in to Horton as being the worst I have ever ran on.Also there is a five mile sign about seven mile out and a three mile sign about five miles out my soul was destroyed that day
In reply to botheclimber:

Yes. We came down it and could see Pen-y-Ghent in the distance. It just wasn't getting any closer and the sun was getting lower and lower.
August West 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Doig:

> so a map isn't really that necessary...

As a member of the local mountain rescue team I would heartily recommend taking a map and a compass (and a torch) and knowing how to use them.

In reply to August West:

Thanks August. What's the terrain like in the Pen-Y-Ghent section? I think the other posters are concentrating on the Ingleborough section that I asked about originally.
 The New NickB 28 Aug 2014

Depends how wet it is and how closely you follow the race route. It is all road and good path up, the race route does a loop out from the summit over the moor which can very slippy in the wet.
August West 28 Aug 2014

This is where I have to admit that shamefully I've never done the Whernside to Pen-y-ghent section (I joined the team more for my caving skills). From the summit of Pen-y-ghent the path is relatively easy going all the way down to Horton. I shouldn't imagine that you'll have any great problems.

Good luck, and have fun.
botheclimber 30 Aug 2014

When you come off pen-y-gent you can take the old roman road or you can go the way i went through the boggy section.I was advised to use the roman road(it was wet weather). There was army lads coming towards me from the boggy section,They were covered in mud,and it looked fun...It wasn't.Take the advise pal ha ha ha
 Al Doig 30 Aug 2014
In reply to August West:

I think you will see I said a map isn't that necessary due to the signposting. Not don't take one.
 HardenClimber 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Doig:

Over the years I've met a fair number of people who have missed a turning and are a bit stumped....If you know the route perhaps a map is superfluous, but some places (especially the top of Ingleborough) can be very disorientating in cloud.

There is a new track from Penyghent which makes things much easier.
Also, don't forget the Race follows a slightly different route from the 'normal' route (access is granted to some land etc).
OP DancingOnRock 31 Aug 2014
Thanks everyone who contributed.

I chatted to 'Bobby' at Horton Farm campsite. Great guy. He also advised to follow the pennine way signposts as the bog gets very deep in places. At the signpost we met two girls who looked a bit frightened as they had followed the old route and gone in up to their waists! They'd seen people and headed back across.

Pen-y-Ghent was pretty straightforward just my map gets a bit confusing as to exactly where the 'new' path runs and we found ourselves at God's Bridge before we worked out exactly where we were on the map.

My friend had trouble with his knees coming down Whernside and we lost a lot of time after that. 9:55:22, not the sub 7:00:00 we had hoped for. We'll be back.
OP DancingOnRock 31 Aug 2014
And Ingleborogh was cloud locked visibility was about 40m.
botheclimber 03 Sep 2014

A mate of mine told me it's easy, said he did it twice in the same day.I didn't believe him
OP DancingOnRock 11 Sep 2014
In reply to botheclimber:

I wouldn't say it's particularly hard. The record is 2h54m or something close. I think if I'd done it on my own I would have definitely been inside 7hours.

I think doing it one way one day and back the other way the next wouldn't be impossible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...