UKC

Saving directions on a tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 28 Aug 2014
Just wondering if it's possible to save directions on a tablet. Like using google maps for example so you can use them offline.

Heading to rocklands tomorrow and it could be useful to have directions from the airport...

Cheers
 The Lemming 28 Aug 2014
In reply to James Malloch:

Its tricky but you can save a map off-line. Sadly its not straight forward and take trial and error. Don't bother with the google tutorials because they are as much use as a chocolate fire-guard. You just have to keep trying different combinations till you are successful.

You could ask google maps to direct you to your destination, and as long as you have an internet connection at the very beginning of your request then google maps will remember the route for you. From the moment that the route is plotted you don't need internet access.
 Ams1101 29 Aug 2014

If you're using the Google Maps app, you can type 'OK Maps' into the search bar and it'll cache the map currently on screen to memory.

This works on my Android, presume it's the same with iOS.
 Puma 29 Aug 2014

You can use freenav if you want a satnav/map offline
 Dave Garnett 29 Aug 2014
> Heading to rocklands tomorrow and it could be useful to have directions from the airport...

Take the N2 towards Cape Town. When you get close to the mountain look for the N7 towards Malmesbury, follow this all the way to Clanwilliam, turn right on the R364 (signposted Calvinia, I think) up to the top of the pass, stop at Kliphuis.

There's a short cut via Bellville and Durbanville but probably no quicker if you aren't familiar with it.

much simpler LOL
 yorkshireman 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

> If you're using the Google Maps app, you can type 'OK Maps' into the search bar and it'll cache the map currently on screen to memory.

> This works on my Android, presume it's the same with iOS.

Works on my iPhone too - tested in anger during a trail run in the depths of the phone-signal free Languedoc a couple of weeks ago.
 Slarti B 01 Sep 2014
A bit late for this trip but next time look at an app called "Offline Maps" (by allinone Software?) You can store and download wide selection of different maps, generally much better quality than Google. Have used it n USA, Mexico, France, UK and Switzerland and works really well. Great when you have no data connection.

Works on IoS and Android, free version with ads or pay coupoe of quid for Offline Maps + with no ads.
Post edited at 11:08
 ByEek 01 Sep 2014

Google maps does cache maps.... up to the point you get lost and end up cycling an additional 6 miles up a massive hill!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...