UKC

Migrants: something nice to report!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 30 Aug 2014
Just picked this up. In a sea (yes) of miserable news, what a heart-warming story. An example perhaps of religion appearing to be a force for good?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28953237
 Billhook 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

But what happens when the migrants are on board and the authorities simply say they are not responsible? Don't land them etc.,?
OP Greenbanks 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

I know. It is not a solution, but nice to be able to report something vaguely positive. that was the point of the OP
 Indy 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

utterly revolting if you ask me.
 Skol 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

> utterly revolting if you ask me.

Yes. That amount of wealth is utterly revolting.
In reply to Indy:

Go on - tell me
 Billhook 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

It may end in tears, once topped up with migrants its turned away from port after port.
In reply to Dave Perry:

Of course it might - but that's not the point. The 'tears' are a product of collective will being exerted (or 'not in my back-yard'). The individual action, however ultimately pointless and not really thought through) is an indication of a willingness to at least try to do something. Better that I'd say than the Daily Mail responses that are de rigeur.
 Indy 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:
I'm guessing that Hello! and OK! thought that self-absorbed, look at us, publicity seeking story was just too puke inducing even for them.

What next? an obese beautifully coiffured Z list celebrity* looking solemnly into a camera lens while handing out food to starving children in Africa under the headline "I just had to, HAD TO help the poor darlings!"?

* Vanessa Feltz maybe?
Post edited at 14:41
 Enty 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Of course it might - but that's not the point. The 'tears' are a product of collective will being exerted (or 'not in my back-yard'). The individual action, however ultimately pointless and not really thought through) is an indication of a willingness to at least try to do something. Better that I'd say than the Daily Mail responses that are de rigeur.

Don't worry - this is UKC. Someone will put a negative spin on absolutely anything on here.

E
 Indy 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:
> Don't worry - this is UKC. Someone will put a negative spin on absolutely anything on here.

O.K you live in your world of warped reality but how many African economic migrants are going to be lured into un-seaworthy vessels only to end up dead at the bottom of the med when Mr millionaire and his designer dressed daughter don't come steaming to the rescue? What happens when the supposed lucky few are dumped unwanted at a European port? Is Europe the land of Milk and Honey that these unskilled, poorly educated mostly young men think it is?

If this multi-millionaire wants to help there are a loads of things he could do unfortunately for him they don't involve massaging his ego in the worlds media.
Post edited at 18:52
 jkarran 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

> If this multi-millionaire wants to help there are a loads of things he could do unfortunately for him they don't involve massaging his ego in the worlds media.

Yeah, what a bunch of c***s trying to, you know, actually help people in desperate need.

I can't figure out what it is that you're actually angry about besides the fact they're wealthy the daughter is photographed in a pretty frock.

You can't possibly be assuming they're positively encouraging migration by attempting to save people who are already in harm's way?

jk
 John_Hat 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Indy:

I obviously am totally guessing here but I would probably suggest that "Mr Multi-Millionaire" has done considerably more than you have to help African economic migrants in trouble.

My obvious and sincere apologies if this is not the case.
 Enty 31 Aug 2014
In reply to jkarran:

He's probably angry that the guy has a nice family, a big f*cking boat and has done well for himself.

E
 Timmd 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:
> O.K you live in your world of warped reality but how many African economic migrants are going to be lured into un-seaworthy vessels only to end up dead at the bottom of the med when Mr millionaire and his designer dressed daughter don't come steaming to the rescue?

What are you talking about?

African economic migrants are going to be lured into un-seaworthy vessels because they're desperately looking for a better life.
Post edited at 00:20
 Timmd 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Enty:

> He's probably angry that the guy has a nice family, a big f*cking boat and has done well for himself.

> E

...and that they're photogenic too.
OP Greenbanks 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

Your responses seem at odds with the kind of sentiments for fellow human beings you express on your thread titled 'Helping a Mate'.
 Indy 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Your responses seem at odds with the kind of sentiments for fellow human beings you express on your thread titled 'Helping a Mate'.

I think you've completely missed my point..... how many thousands/millions of normal people provide help/charity every day yet don't expect OK!/Hello! style media coverage. How many of those people can say "Members of the media were today invited to witness...." the charitable-ness of what they'd done? Mr Millionaire and his so called charity is only being done in the glare of the media no doubt to massage his millionaire ego.

I have no problem with people being charitable.....

"There are those that give little of the much which they have - and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gift unwholesome

And there are those that have little and give it all"

The Prophet

Kahil Gibran
 Indy 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

I think we shall have to agree to disagree.

The sentiments I've raised are far from uncommon especially as it now appears that Mr Mustachio Millionaire has only agrees to fund his little jolly for (lowers voice to a whisper) a summer which is apparently 60 days at sea. Not being completely unfamiliar with such things I wonder what the Tax implications are for such an expensive yet unprofitable venture would be for a millionaire who might be looking to mitigate his Tax bill? . Anyway last I heard "Members of the media were today invited to witness...." so roll up roll up for 60 days only.

And yes Enty and jkarran I'm insanely pathologically jealous of Mr Millionaire not only has he got all that money but then to have such a luxuriant handle bar mustachio.... well its just not fair.
OP Greenbanks 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

Okay. Let's differ. No problem. But before leaving it it should be borne in mind that the 'so-called charity' is in actual fact a 'charity' - full-stop, irrespective of what view you take on them rather crassly publicising it. I presume you apply the same rule of thumb to comics, musicians, actors and public figures who make various contributions to (eg) Comic Relief, Band Aid, Farm Aid, the Bridge St School event etc etc? Seems to me a big part of the why they do it is to publicise, to bring to the attention of others and also to model 'giving'. Yes, not to my own taste, but as stated in the OP, better to at least try.

Wonder how many 'millionaires' are out there with eyes only for the next million???
 Enty 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

>

> And yes Enty and jkarran I'm insanely pathologically jealous of Mr Millionaire not only has he got all that money but then to have such a luxuriant handle bar mustachio.... well its just not fair.

He can shave his moustache off any day he wants but you'll still be Indy.........

E
 jkarran 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

> The sentiments I've raised are far from uncommon especially as it now appears that Mr Mustachio Millionaire has only agrees to fund his little jolly for (lowers voice to a whisper) a summer which is apparently 60 days at sea. Not being completely unfamiliar with such things I wonder what the Tax implications are for such an expensive yet unprofitable venture would be for a millionaire who might be looking to mitigate his Tax bill? . Anyway last I heard "Members of the media were today invited to witness...." so roll up roll up for 60 days only.

Do you think someone who's dying of dehydration, desperately bailing out a sinking boat with a shoe or bobbing about amid wreckage and corpses gives a flying f**k about anyone's tax bill, what they look like or what they wear when they come to help? Do you think they give a f**k which god the rescuer worships or what they're getting out of it?

Perhaps there's a seasonality to the migrant crossings, by doing summer seasons they can afford to be there for more people? Perhaps he's hoping the 60days is enough to get something more formal kick started? Perhaps by raising the profile of the venture they can secure year round funding? Perhaps they'll continue beyond the 60 days anyway? Who knows what's planned but stepping up and helping people who are often in desperate need even if it's just for 60 days is better than doing nothing and far far better than moaning about it from the comfort of your desk.

> And yes Enty and jkarran I'm insanely pathologically jealous of Mr Millionaire not only has he got all that money but then to have such a luxuriant handle bar mustachio.... well its just not fair.

I didn't suggest or imagine you were jealous. Cynical and whiney...

jk
Post edited at 12:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...