Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Topic - Kalymnos for Bumblies?

obi-wan nick b - on 30 Aug 2014
What's Kalymnos like for bumblies? ie are there enough routes in the range F4 - F6

thanks
John Alcock - on 30 Aug 2014
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

yes and mostly very well bolted too
I consider myself a bumbly nowadays (have been for years some would say) only climbing up to 6b on a good day, and I have done almost 600 different routes on Kalymnos. Plus I am still finding new things to do there. I suspect in may be the most user-friendly venues in Europe for lower grade climbers (and upper grade ones as well),

Chris
Post edited at 16:39
Rog Wilko on 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

What Chris says, plus the grades are softer than most (all?) European venues, so there are even more things you can throw yourself at than a casual glance at the guidebook would suggest. It's the only place where I would do 6a and 6a+ as a matter of course.
In reply to all: Thanks all - sounds ideal

In reply to Rog Wilko:

> What Chris says, plus the grades are softer than most (all?) European venues, so there are even more things you can throw yourself at than a casual glance at the guidebook would suggest. It's the only place where I would do 6a and 6a+ as a matter of course.

I didn't want to mention the soft grades but you are absolutely correct - I would say they were are to two notches down on other most other venues,

Chris

What sort of percentage of a full grade is a "notch"!!!?

A "notch" is a full grade,

Chris
jon on 30 Aug 2014

Ooooh you'll be in trouble. They won't let you in again.
carl dawson - on 30 Aug 2014
Chris is quite right: the easier grades are 'encouraging' grades.

In reply to carl dawson:

> Chris is quite right: the easier grades are 'encouraging' grades.

Come on, they all all soft touches right across the board (rumour has it),

Chris

;-)
Chris the Tall - on 30 Aug 2014

> Come on, they all all soft touches right across the board (rumour has it),

Not so, the 6c's and 6c+'s are dead accurate. It's just 6b and below, and 7a and above that are soft touches
full stottie on 30 Aug 2014

You guys have just destroyed my self-esteem. I was going so well last time there.
In reply to full stottie:

> You guys have just destroyed my self-esteem. I was going so well last time there.

Exactly! (Me too by the way)

Chris

;-)
GridNorth - on 31 Aug 2014

I must be crap at judging grades. I've climbed loads there from 5 to 6c and never found it particularly easy compared to other areas. I found Costa Daurada hard and some of the crags in France vary from soft touches to tough for the grade. Is Kalymnos really any different?
ads.ukclimbing.com
HB1 - on 31 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

I found Costa Daurada hard and some of the crags in France vary from soft touches to tough for the grade. Is Kalymnos really any different?

I don't think it is, but I must say I climb many more routes in Kaly (last time I counted 60 in 10 days climbing) than I do when we go to other countries so it's likely that the climbs become easier with familiarity with the style, plus the ideal climbing conditions etc. I manage upto 6b+ there and 6b tops at most other venues, including UK, so I wouldn't say there was all that much difference. At the grade I find all outside climbs a tad easier than the equivalent indoor grade at my local (Awesome Stockport). The short answer is yes - more-than-plenty to go for at F4-F6. Enjoy!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

My Forums