UKC

watts....TT expectations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 30 Aug 2014
I've cycled on and off for years including a few races (25+) years ago but also some TT's a few years ago. I have never understood the concept of watts etc but I did a hard'ish for me 30 minutes on a bike in the gym earlier.
I know there are a number of other factors (wind/course/position etc), but, on a flat average 10 miler what times should i be expecting to hit with an average over 30 minutesof 186 watts?
Cheers for any info...
 JLS 30 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Your 186 watts figure is meaningless when not considered along with your drag factor.

The time 186 watts will get you will depend on if you're a big guy on a standard bike or a wee guy on an aero bike or anything in between.

MaranaF 30 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Another answer would be... most enthusiastic amateurs can manage a 30 min ten mile TT

With work you might be able to do this... British time trial champion Dowsett averaged 34.6153mph on the E2/10 out-and-back course on the A11 south-east of Cambridge to beat Michael Hutchinson’s previous mark of 17-45 set in 2012.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/alex-dowsett-sets-new-briti...

There is a massive difference between 30 mins and 17.

Last time I tried a did a 21:30 but then I was riding 10 mile sprints twice a day, every day as my commute to and from work, and I was ten years younger.

The average pro rider would do this speed all day without breaking into a sweat.
 ClimberEd 30 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

This is surprisingly accurate.

Your gym bike watts will almost certainly be wrong.

Bike has a massive bearing on it (as the link will show and as anyone will tell you who has both a road and a TT bike.)

In reply to abr1966:

I managed 4 nights off timekeeping duties this year so managed a couple of sub 29 minute rides in our evening 10 series on an out and home course riding a standard road bike with clip on tri bars. Strava worked out I'd averaged just over 180 watts. Even so I'm still about 40 seconds shy of my Veterans 'standard'. Maybe next year?
 Indy 01 Sep 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

There are a number of video's linked to your link and watching a couple it appears that some TT's at least are held on open roads. Must add a certain something to the experience thinking "is that Range Rover going to pull out?"
 MaranaF 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

I think MOST TT's are held on open roads and yes, you spend all your time trying not to get killed.
 woolsack 01 Sep 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Recently I have been averaging about 300 watts and doing a flattish ten in about 23 minutes. I don't think my position is particularly good. That's on a TT bike

The Time trialling forum would be a good place to burrow into power outputs in depth http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/
OP abr1966 01 Sep 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Thanks to all.......
Did a 10 TT tonight...no wind and a flat'ish route in 27' 43 so was quite pleased with that on my road bike. Not sure about my power output but i've been riding quite a lot over the past couple of months so could push it fairly hard on the lumpy bits of road. I reckon there is a fair bit to learn yet....!
 woolsack 01 Sep 2014
In reply to abr1966:

The power meter has been a worthwhile purchase for TTs this year. 'Kin expensive but it's stopped me from getting too carried away and blowing up too soon. Times have been significantly better this year. If it is placebo effect I'll get another one for next year!

Doing a 12 hour TT on Sunday so watch this space...
OP abr1966 01 Sep 2014
In reply to woolsack:

12 hours!! I would need a bucket of chamois creme for that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...