UKC

Witch on buckbarrow as a three?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sea_lene 31 Aug 2014
I've read that it's climb able in one pitch...

Is it possible/comfortable to climb as a three, belaying at the top of the pillar ?
 Ramblin dave 31 Aug 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

Yeah, it's a decent sized ledge. You might have a bit more swing potential on the first pitch than you would with one second on two ropes, but not (IIRC, YMMV, usual disclaimers apply) to a dangerous extent.

Speaking of Buckbarrow, we went there the other weekend and did the guidebook approach up the scree at the front. But looking in the ever faithful Wainwright, it looks like there's a slightly longer but much nicer path that starts up Gill Beck and neatly drops you at the bottom of the upper tier. Is there a reason that people don't use that as an approach instead?
OP sea_lene 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks - I'll look out for the swing potential.

I've not been up to buckbarrow at all yet - but I think I was planning on taking the gentler path from the gill (certainly am now!)

Interested to see other peoples thoughts on the approach...
 System Shaper 01 Sep 2014
In reply to sea_lene:
I normally used to take the scree route when I lived up that way as we only really used it as an afternoon/evening crag after work and it is the faster approach meaning there was more time to climb when you have limited daylight. Despite taking the gill path when walking I've never approached the crags from that way, but I can't imagine it's particularly difficult.
Post edited at 10:08
OP sea_lene 01 Sep 2014
In reply to System Shaper:

We're heading up after work tomorrow. If the direct approach much quicker I guess it'll have to be that one... See how my legs feel tomorrow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...