UKC

Knee injury advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 02 Sep 2014
Two weeks ago I ran a two-day race and had minor pain after day one in my knee. During the second day I had no pain until afterwards, and since then I've had pain in one knee that worsens if I go downstairs, walk downhills, try to squat, or if I keep the knee bent. At its worse it's pretty painful and means I walk with a limp; at its best I barely notice it. I've not run for a couple of weeks and this week am minimising walking too. Cycling aggravates it a bit, but not loads (though too much to allow me to finish a century this weekend!). The pain's hard to locate with certainty but it tends to be on the inside (medial) of my leg, level with the kneecap but certainly not behind it.

I just saw the doc and advice was to take it steady for a bit, take loads of ibuprofen, and see how it goes. Anyone else had anything similar (is it runner's knee??) and if so, how long did it take to mend? I'm off to the Alps in 7 days so ideally I'll be sorted by then if I just rest very thoroughly...?! I can always take it steady while I'm out there. In the mean time I'm icing, ibuprofening, and keeping my knee straight. Any other ideas? Long-term I know I need to up the strength work again- I circuit train and do gym work for 9 months of the year but over summer I sack it off and in my mind this is clearly the cause of it.
 Welsh Kate 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Go see a sports physio, there's not much GPs can do, though mine generally tells me to go see a sports physio when I have these kinds of problems.
 The Lemming 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Go see a sports physio, there's not much GPs can do,

Really?

I thought a GP could refer you to all sorts of health professionals such as consultants, physios, podiatrists and such like.
OP Mr Fuller 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Normally I would go for physio but I don't think they'll get me booked in this week. The GP said with a bit of luck it should go away of its own accord but if not then I can come back to get referred for NHS physio (that's the first time I've been told that - I've usually just gone private).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...