UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nearula 02 Sep 2014
I am new to hiking and I prefer hill climbs to long flat walks

My balance isn't the best so I don't really fancy "proper" climbing where you need ropes...etc

I was wondering if someone could suggest some challenging climbs around Lancashire / Yorkshire which don't require climbing gear with minimal danger

Also is there a word for stiff hill climbing without ropes and no real danger?

Let me know

Thanks
Richard

GrahamUney 02 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

Hi Richard. Yes, it's called hillwalking.

Graham
In reply to nearula:

those hills between lancs and Yorks i.e. the Pennines are a good challenge, just make sure you can navigate well before heading out on to them though, or go with someone else who can do all that!
 ByEek 03 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

There are loads. Just pick an area and buy a map - or borrow one from your local library. Pendle 'ill in Lancashire or one of the three Yorkshire Peaks (Wernside, Ingleborough or Pen-y-gent) are all good days out with decent views at the top.
In reply to nearula:

My first hillclimb was the main ridge on Fleetwith Pike in the Lake District. Sufficiently steep and exposed to give a complete novice some excitement but easy enough for anyone to do. For dramatic and exciting hills I always turn to the lakes, you're much closer than me so enjoy
Simos 03 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

One level 'up' in difficulty from hillwalking you have scrambling I guess, maybe try some very easy scrambling too?
 Chris Murray 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Simos:

Un-roped scrambling is one of the more dangerous ways to experience the mountains, especially for the inexperienced.
 Brass Nipples 03 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

Pendle Hill is a good old ascent.
 The Lemming 03 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamUney:

> Hi Richard. Yes, it's called hillwalking.

> Graham

And not hiking, that is for Amuricans.

You may find this book on scrambles enjoyable as a bridge between fell walking and climbing. It has give me many years of pleasure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrambles-District-Cicerone-British-Mountains/dp/09...
 Rip van Winkle 04 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

I don't know what's come over this forum. People giving sensible advice to a newcomer? It's not like the old days.
 squarepeg 06 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

There is some walking/climbing/scrambling at Dovestones reservoir area.
nearula 10 Sep 2014
In reply to nearula:

Ive climbed pendle hill. Scrambing looks good. I do know my limits so wont go for anything too challenging. Thanks for all you advice. Cheers Richard
 nutme 19 Sep 2014

"Stiff hill climbing without ropes and no real danger" is called via ferrata. In Germany and Austria is's klettersteig.

Unfortunately UK have only 3 routes and they are purpose built commercial attractions.

On the continent where are thousands of routes and they are public. Many are easy accessible and can be done in one day, others would take a hike to approach and few days to complete. Alps are probably the best place to go. With Dolomites and Tyrol being best places in Alps. However it's just my personal preference.

It's same scrambling or easy climbing, but with additional holds, sometimes ladders and bridges on lower grades. Plus you are clipped and falls extremely unlikely to be fatal. No ropes are needed, but harness, two slings and karabiners are bare minimum. Helmet and special lanyard instead of slings are advisable. Leather gloves are a good thing to have as well. No training is needed, just make sure at least one of karabiners is clipped to a cable at any given time.

You can always hold to cable and that really helps with balance. And it's best route to advance from hill walking in my opinion. Both safe, adventurous and usually very spectacular.
Post edited at 10:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...