UKC

12 year old - success on an E6!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 03 Sep 2014

http://dmmclimbing.com/news/

Well done Archie, really impressed
 Coel Hellier 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Wow, impressed! That's brave (and brave of his dad also!).

John Cooke 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Great ascent. V lucky with the rope crossing over the wrong leg on the rock over!

Well done
 Coel Hellier 03 Sep 2014
In reply to John Cooke:

> Great ascent. V lucky with the rope crossing over the wrong leg on the rock over!

Agreed, not wanting to criticise the technique of a kid who is better and braver than me, but he should have had the rope to his left, not to his right.
OP Sl@te Head 03 Sep 2014
In reply to John Cooke:

Typical UKC response, Archie deserves praise for his amazing achievement not nit-picking criticism.
 goose299 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

What a talent
 dale1968 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I once went that far above my gear, (on a VDiff)

Stupidity aside, what a talent!
 Purple 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Pah! What's he ever done on a Playstation / X-box / Wii ?

Good on yer Archie!!
 Mark Kemball 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Very impressive! At the moment I'm wrestling with what to let my 13 year old led - it's more frightening than being on the sharp end yourself!
 The Lemming 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Purple:

> Pah! What's he ever done on a Playstation / X-box / Wii ?

lol

Quote of the year.

henwardian 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Kudos! Impressive sendage!!

I'm really stunned by the time travel though, he watched a film made in 2102!
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Very impressive. Kudos to the lad.
I guess his dad must be made of pretty strong stuff. I remember my son's first lead at about 11. He'd been following me up Severes and Mild VS's, so asked if he could lead a slabby Diff. 60 ft up and 20 ft from the top he announced he couldn't get any runners in (having gone past several good placements I hasten to add).

I could see all sorts of unwelcome newspaper headlines if things went wrong, but fortunately he heeded my advice to think about where he was going to put his feet, and the handholds would just appear.

Going on the basis of not letting him lead on anything more than 4 grades below what he was used to following, I'd have had to be climbing E10 to let a 12 year old of mine loose on an E6.
 John Cooke 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hi Ian,

There was no criticism or malice whatsoever intended in my post, so apologies if you interpreted it in that way. There is no question that someone who falls with the rope around their leg is lucky - I know from experience!

In terms of Archie deserving praise - please read the rest of my post.

A typical defensive response by an UKC OP
 ark05 03 Sep 2014
good effort, me and a friend repeated some of his routes on the slate. remember him saying "how hard can it be if a 9 year old did it?".. now we know...

tom84 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Agreed, not wanting to criticise the technique of a kid who is better and braver than me, but he should have had the rope to his left, not to his right.

....yawn
 DaveHall246 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Very impressive! At the moment I'm wrestling with what to let my 13 year old led - it's more frightening than being on the sharp end yourself!

Agreed, and in a couple of years it'll be even more frightening when you realise you can't follow what he's just led

Good effort Archie!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...